Mapping Question: Symbol Options

I have a couple of quick questions, the answers to which have eluded me for the past two years. In the Options above the symbol catalogue, there is the option to have symbols choose their own sheets.

Because of the type of maps I'm making, the first thing I usually do when I start a new map, is to toggle that option OFF. I want symbols going on the sheets I have created for them, because sometimes I want different symbols on different sheets. For me, it keeps my maps more organized, but it also makes things easier if I have to isolate something I've added to my map, for what ever reason.

One issue I have, is that I have to remember to go into the options and toggle that particular option off EACH and EVERY time I open a map. That setting doesn't save when I save my progress.

So here's my question. Is there a way to KEEP that option toggled off on a particular map? And if there is... HOW?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited May 2018
    If you create your own symbol catalogues you can leave that box empty :)

I've never done that because I like to stick to a naming convention that other CC3 mappers will understand, so any sheet I put symbols on automatically starts with the word "SYMBOLS", eg: "SYMBOLS waterfalls". It does mean that half the sheets in my map start with SYMBOLS, but at least anyone I share that map with can see at a glance where and what everything is ;)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2018
    Not that I know about, since that is a global option, not a per-map one. Perhaps with a map load macro, I don't think so, but I need to check.

Do note that you can largely avoid this issue by properly naming your sheets though. Almost all symbols are set to go to SYMBOLS* by default, and that asterisk basically means that "if the current sheet starts with the word SYMBOLS, use that, if not, use the regular symbols sheet". So if you have a sheet in your map named SYMBOLS ARACHNIDS and that is the active sheet, CC3 will place the symbols there. So by using the naming convention, you can easily use multiple sheets for symbols without turning off the setting.

Edit: Ninjaed by Sue, that's what happens when you try to post from your phone.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    YES!

I did it! I did it!

Ahem... sorry Remy :)
  • Doh!

You know... I knew that... I'd forgotten. And I used to do that... but it's been a while, I guess. Okay, lol... that's what happens when I combine two separate sheets into one! lol