Crashing When Scaling

So I have a number of maps that I created under Autorealm, that I'd like to begin moving into CC3. After doing some searching I've found that it's possible to use vector files to create paths and trace my existing landmasses, and generate landmasses from those in the new program. Awesome.

I exported one of my base maps to BMP from Autorealm, used Inkscape to convert it to SVG, and then converted the SVG to a DXF. CC3 imports the DXF (using Draw > Import File) just fine into a "Template" sheet I created. However now is when I run into a problem:

The Vector file imports EXTREMELY small into CC3. Even if I use the default 1000x800 resolution rather than the full scale of the source map, (closer to 2600x 2400) the imported file occupies only about 100x100. If I try to scale it, the INSTANT it scales beyond 9x its original size, CC3 crashes. It doesn't matter how many times I scale it. If I scale it once, it crashes as soon as I pass 9x. If I scale it twice (once at, say, 5x) the second time I scale it ALWAYS crashes when it reaches about 9x the original size. I've even tried scaling my SVG file BEFORE converting it to DXF, in which case CC3 crashes the instant I try to import the file.

I've tried turning off every sheet except for the active template, and adjusting the draw for fastest performance, and it still crashes. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? IE create the landmass from the imported vector first, and THEN scale it up?

Comments

• You can import a bmp into CC3. Have you tried that ? The extra steps may be part of the problem.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Can you post your map here, I'd like to examine the entities generated in the imported landmass to see if I can spot the source of this. I am suspecting that the conversion to svg might create an overly complex entity.

If you only want the outline of your landmass, (assuming you have CC3+), I recommend importing the BMP into CC3+, and then use the CONTROURSM command to generate entities from the image. (See this blog post)
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Monsen</cite>
    If you only want the outline of your landmass, (assuming you have CC3+), I recommend importing the BMP into CC3+, and then use the CONTROURSM command to generate entities from the image. (See<a href="http://rpgmaps.profantasy.com/?p=4292">this blog post</a>)</blockquote>

Awesome, I think that will do what I need, thanks!