The map of Atel Dorn

Hi all,

I've been using CC3 for some times now, and I thought it might be nice to have some feedback on what I manage to do with it!
So here is one of my last maps, an archipelago where my Warlords games take place. I wanted a dark look to it, like the old Warhammer Rpg maps from 1st edition I loved so much as a kid (damn, I might be showing my age there!), or like those old renaissance maps, with many infos and a clustered look. I might tone it down a bit to make it more readable, I'm still unsure about this. Oh and I used the Sarah Wroot annual as a base !

Pat.

Comments

• Yeah, it's gorgeous, and very clean. The only difficult parts are the smallest bits of text, which are too faint at screen resolution. However, they might be fine on a printed map.
  • edited March 2009
    Superb... You could sell that.

Can I ask how you came up with the names of the places? Are they French? What does Toll mean?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Beautiful map. Really well done.
  • edited March 2009
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Posted By: Davaris

Can I ask how you came up with the names of the places? Are they French? What does Toll mean?
    Most of the names are french, because I'm french too. All the french names on the map are just typical cliché, like "the bitter sea" (the archipelago being lost in the north of my setting, I imagined its settlers came to it fleeing a great evil in their homelands, hence naming the sea like this after their long trip) , or 'the hollow island"...

I always have a hard time naming places, so I usually plunder other people's work for more original names lol. In this case, the fantasy names of the islands are actually based on elvish words, taken from an online tolkien elvish dictionnary (I use this one http://www.grey-company.org/Circle/language/search/Wordsearch.cgi?Language=Elven&Word=green) and reworked a bit.
    So "Toll" is based on the elvish word 'tol' and means "isle". The other places are named using the same trick. For instance, Toll Kalen would be "the green island", quite a cliché name but once turned in faux elvish ("Kalen" is based on "Calen", the elvish word for "green") it doesn't sound so bad. "Toll Dena" would be "The middle island", I just changed the elvish word for "middle", "ened", by writing it backwards and using an "a" ending because it sounds prettier to my ears...

Quite a cheap trick, but it works :)
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Wonderful! I'm very happy to see the Annual B&W style used in such a nice manner. :)
  • 22 days later
  • Thanks for the explanation Patsuriku. What I like most about your maps, is how exotic the place names are. Using a made up words for everyday words like island, river, etc is a great idea.
  • I dont speak french, nor elven, but "Les Crocs du Wyrm" sounds like a very dangerous place! LOL

VERY nice map... a lot of hard work was put into that one.