Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2019

I can't thank everyone enough for your input. As I said, doing a world sized map is not my thing, and the size, as well as the need for it to match what is already created, has vexed me. Quenten, I'm glad that you have some names thought up. I will be checking your map as well as as others for any names of major features that are prominent on this one. Thank you.

Andre, I'll post the map I have done so far for you tomorrow so that you can grab the rivers from it. I'd do it now except that I realized today that I missed a couple of major rivers on Alarius so have to draw them in still. Translating the rivers from our individual continent maps back to the world map has been my greatest challenge because of the polar distortion. I just went with my best guess at times. I hope they work well enough for your needs.
    That sounds great Shessar. Thank you.
    I hope that I can get some input from Joe Slayton or someone else here how to get the topography to follow existing rivers and not vice versa...
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2019

Andre - I fear that since the process you carried out on the FT3 world was never done to Nibirum in the first place, and that since the existing rivers were drawn in by mappers rather than FT3, they might never match the relief resulting from the FT3 process. But maybe I will be wrong :)
    Yes Sue, I think that's the problem.
    We have to find a way to "force" the topography to match the "existing" rivers.
    I already have an idea of using Shessars rivers as a mask where Wilbur or FT3 has to lower the heights - but I do not really know if that is possible....
    We have to wait for an answer from the master of FT3 and Wilbur - Joe Slayton...
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Ah ha.

I begin to see the nature of the master plan :)
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2019 edited

I'm almost finished with the Alarius continent and am starting to see slowdowns from the number of nodes again so I'll have to go through and simplify continents and rivers again. I'm hoping that eliminating some of the feeder rivers will help when I get to that point as well.

I've changed and desaturated the background for now as well as using a lighter color on the rivers to match. I want to use only the original CC3 fills in this map so the sea will be a bit of a challenge. Blurring it looks better but slows down everything horribly at the moment. The oceans will be my last obstacle so it will stand as is for now.

Weatherman, I've attached the fcw for this with everything hidden except the rivers and lakes, which are on 4 sheets. I hope this helps you out. Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help. :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

You could switch the effects off and change the properties of the background to a plain colour until your done?

Maybe make a duplicate of every layer and add the word FINISHED to each one name, then transfer all that is finished across to the respective finished layer), and hide them? Then, when all is done, you could make sure everything is on the finished layers and nothing is left on the original ones, then delete the original ones and rename the finished ones to get rid of the FINISHED. So when its done it will be as if you had never done it that way.
    Thank you Shessar, fantastic work!

In the meantime I got some interesting input from Joe - so we'll see were I end up with all the rivers and my topo-map... :)
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2019

There's a real crispness about this latest iteration of the map that looks great to my eye, Shessar.

The rivers still don't stand out enough though. Not sure if a colour change (to something paler) would help, or perhaps something like a different (brighter and/or stronger?) glow effect to get them to "zing" more. Possibly they'd be fine on a larger version of the map though (i.e. one less restricted by the Forum image limits), so I could be way off in such comments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2019

I think there should be ice on the southern tips of the peninsulas in peredur. But Wow!!! what a great map.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2019

Thanks again for your input everyone.

Yes, the ocean and rivers need work. I think I want to get the land features finished for all of the continents first so that we are looking at the overall impression of the water parts of the map. I suspect that the river color will have to be figured once I've done the ocean.

Quenten, I was planning to work on Peredur next once I had Alarius finished so thanks for clarifying where the ice cover is. I was going to do Dorient next but after Alarius I've decided to do a few of the smaller continents just so that I feel like I'm making progress. Adding the details isn't difficult; it's all of the flipping back and forth between maps to make sure that I'm close to accurate that takes time. :D
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Would it help to temporarily import a bitmap of the map you want to check things against?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: Shessarit's all of the flipping back and forth between maps to make sure that I'm close to accurate that takes time.
    Sounds like you need a couple of extra monitors.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Posted By: MonsenSounds like you need a couple of extra monitors.

Yes! Well thanks for this suggestion Remy. I just have to rearrange my working location a bit and I can connect up a second monitor. This shows my old-timer thinking pattern. I never understood why my kids have multiple monitors. Duh!

LOL!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: ShessarI can connect up a second monitor
    I do recommend you go for a third while you are at it. It's my preferred setup. Three screens at work, three screens at my PC at home, and most importantly at all, three screens when I DM (not including the projector I use to show things to the players, that's a separate display on a separate system).
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Posted By: MonsenI do recommend you go for a third while you are at it. It's my preferred setup. Three screens at work, three screens at my PC at home, and most importantly at all, three screens when I DM (not including the projector I use to show things to the players, that's a separate display on a separate system).

Remy, that made me giggle. Haha.

Here's the little corner where I usually do my mapping. Do you see that little white snack tray that holds my laptop, mouse, and coffee cup? When I talk about moving my location to accommodate a second monitor, I meant moving from that snack tray to the dining room table. :D
      Mapping nook.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

OMG!

You make me feel so much better about squishing an entire new PC onto a desktop that isn't much larger than your tray! LOL!

The company who sold it to me couldn't understand why I didn't want a bigger screen. But they aren't the ones who have to have it 'just so' to make sure it's not pressed up against the tower.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

You girls seriously need a proper office desk. Working on a computer is so much easier when you have proper space, proper seating, proper work height and a properly sized screens.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

Looking at what Shessar and Loopysue use for workspace makes me feel very spoilt indeed...

:O :O :O
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I have two monitors, but only room for one on a white folding table I got from a big box store.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I have yet to need more than 1 monitor, but then, I don't do much except game, map, write and surf internet and watch TV shows
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Well that's 5 for a start! :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Have you tried using several? I find that most people before they have tried working seriously with multiple monitors always say that, but afterwards, they always say that they couldn't understand how they managed without before. In my mind, all the activities you just listed requires more than one monitor (the last one mostly because I desperately need to actually work on something while watching TV-like things, otherwise I I get way too restless)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I have both a limited budget and limited room, and prefer to do one 'task' at a time - i am male, you know.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I had 2 monitors at my last job, all work related. I had to compare equipment lists from different people. Tracking serial numbers gave me a headache.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

I'm with you, Quenten! Although the one monitor I do have is huge!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Ditto for my desktop - which is sadly out of order.
    • CommentAuthorjslayton

Many of those books on the shelf look familiar. Reminders of a simpler time...
    I use two monitors mounted to one of those old dual ergotron arm setups. Let's me keep the debugger on one monitor and the debuggee on the other. Switching the z order of windows while debugging is a whole different level of pain!
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2019

Well, curling up in my favorite chair with a cup of spiced coffee and a mapping project open on the laptop is one of my favorite things to do. I'm on my third laptop and second comfy chair since I chose this spot as mine. I like the mobility of the laptop for gaming so that I can have it with me no matter who is hosting game night that week. I will admit that my laptop screens have gotten progressively larger as my eyes have gotten progressively older. :D

Yep Joe, most of the books are mine as well. Top shelf are some of my favorite novels, middle shelf are frequently referenced AD&D 2E and a few history reference books, third shelf are mostly my gardening, chicken raising, and bee keeping books. The rest of the gaming books are behind the doors on the bottom. This is my spot with all of the things that make me happy.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one on the planet not using multiple monitors. :D
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2020

Yes, I'm still working on this. I have once again hit the point where too many nodes are causing the system to not respond so I have to go back through what I've done and simplify it all again. Sigh.

I really want to finish this by the end of this month. I'm tired of working on it. :)
      Nibirum.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2020

Its looking really great, Shessar! :)

When I get tired of something I take a break from it for a couple of weeks, but I make sure I go back to it before I forget where I was with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2020

I know the feeling, Shessar. I often intersperse my big project (eg Dun Fingolfin) with smaller, less time consuming ones (eg, Watabou cities)
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2020 edited

Thanks for the moral support Sue and Quenten. It's what keeps me going on this map some days. :)

I'm down to the final continent of Dorient to finish. Right now I'm working at reducing the number of rivers on that continent. I also have cleanup to do on the earlier continents I did because I changed my techniques along the way.

I've also started work on the ocean contours, though they are still preliminary. Also playing with ideas for the border and cartouches. Does anyone know which fonts come with the base CC3+? I want to make sure that I choose something that everyone can see.

I still have a way to go on this map but feel confident that I'll finish it by the end of the month.
      Nibirum.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2020

Oh I like the presentation. That's looking really smart :)

I think the best way to find out about the fonts included with the template is to start a new map and check out the list you get with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Check the fonts list on the Contribute page, it shows which fonts in a standard install comes from where.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Remy saves the day again! Thant's where I saw the list of fonts!

I knew I had seen it somewhere and my mind associated it with you. I looked through the Tome and the Blog and was beginning to wonder if I had just dreamed of there being a list of fonts. Thanks for pointing me to the correct place. :D
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

I think the How to Contribute fonts list may need updating, as I've a feeling a couple of fonts or more were added in the 2019 Annual which don't seem to be there. One I especially recall was Mayan, because I had a problem with this, already having an actual Mayan glyphs font installed, but irritatingly with both having the same name, the newer CC3+ one couldn't be added to my system!
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2020 edited

I'm getting close to finishing this.

I removed the scale because it was really only accurate at the equator.
    I still need to comb through and fix any small glitches and make sure everything is on the correct sheet and layer.
    I'm not entirely happy with the font, both style and color, so I'll have to play with that a bit.
    I suppose I should add the names of the oceans, so I'll have to comb through all of the maps to see if I can find them.

Recommendations are most welcome at this point.
      Nibirum2.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2020

The ocean names are on my Mercator Nibirum map: https://atlas.monsen.cc/atlas/world/world%20-%20mercator.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2020 edited

Posted By: ShessarI removed the scale because it was really only accurate at the equator.
    I understand your reasoning here, but without a scale, you also lose all indication of size, which is a bad thing. May I recommend keeping the scale, and adding a small text below it, like "scale only accurate at equator due to map projection" or something?

Also, it is Doriant, not Dorient.

Agree about the font.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2020

On equirectangular maps I do a scale but define it as the "Equatorial Scale in Miles"
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Thank you everyone!!!! So, so helpful. :D

An even bigger thanks to Quenten for gathering the names of the oceans on one map. You're the best!
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTime7 days ago

I have one last pass through the map to make sure everything is on the sheet and layer that I intended and to make sure all rivers end where they should. Your suggestions have been very helpful so welcome any final advice before I call it complete.
      Nibirum.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Looks Fabulous - our official map!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Excellent work, Shessar :D
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTime7 days ago

LOVE it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime7 days ago edited

Fantastic map.

But Artemisia is misspelled.

I also have another small change suggestion for the scale warning text. Perhaps it should say "Scale and proportions are only accurate ........".

The added text helps explain why some continents have a different shape than seen on the world map (Ezrute and Peredur in particular)
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTime6 days ago edited

Thanks for catching my spelling errors. My fingers like to do their own dance at times. I'd be doomed without spellcheck. :D

Here is the final version. I'll leave this here and turn in the fcw to Remy tomorrow if there are no other errors or suggestions.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and input!
      Nibirum3.PNG
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Looks great !
    • CommentAuthordranthor
    • CommentTime6 days ago

wow that is a great world map. Makes me want to getback to working on my world map.