Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2018

I have a font (Shrewsbury) that is installed on my system. It looks like it came with the 2007 annual. This font shows up and works fine in all of my software except CC3+. I've tried deleting and reinstalling it but that didn't help.

So I guess my question is, what would cause a functioning font to not work in CC3+?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Did anyone tell you that you are good at finding weird problems?

Now idea why this happens, but it does happen for me too. Same issue, available in other programs, so it does seem to be installed correctly, but CC3+ doesn't see it.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

LOL. Good at finding them, or the only one reporting them?
    • CommentAuthorShessar

A bit more info...

The Shrewsbury font came with the John Speed style. If I open one of the sample maps from the annual, the font shows properly in the map, is available on the Font Properties dialogue, but still does not show up on the More Fonts list.

I think it must be something not quite right with the font file.

Anyway, I've found that if I copy text from the John Speed sample and paste it into my map the font is now usable in the new map.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Shessar - Mistress of Mappy Mysteries :P
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2018 edited

Funny you should mention this. I noticed this exact thing just a few months ago. Difference between me and Shessar? I forgot to post about it once I found a way around it. I suck, haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I simply put it into my windows fonts directory, and can easily access it from there (as I can any font within that directory)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Well, that's the problem with that particular font. It is where it is supposed to be (the Windows fonts directory), and it works in all other programs, so it is correctly installed, but when you try to add it to a CC3+ map, CC3+ doesn't show it as one of the available choices.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Quenten - That's exactly what I do. I think.

Maybe Windows throws a wobbly if you use fonts without its 'permission'. Wouldn't surprise me!

Edit: Remy - to install a font I double click the downloaded font file, which brings up a primitive dialog asking if I want to install it. I click install, and it installs.

Is that how everyone else does it?
    • CommentAuthorShessar

I found the problem with the font file. Some of the characters are missing from the font. I know that some Adobe software is picky about having all characters created in a font. It seems that CC is too.

My image shows a complete font map on top, and the missing characters in the Shrewsbury font indicated by blocks instead of the characters on the bottom.
      Bridgenorth.jpg
    • CommentAuthortaustinoc

I believe there's an option the right-click menu, as well.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Posted By: Loopysue
    Edit: Remy - to install a font I double click the downloaded font file, which brings up a primitive dialog asking if I want to install it. I click install, and it installs.

Is that how everyone else does it?

That's what I do when I download a new font.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Well, I just double checked, and although Shrewsbury is in my Windows/Fonts directory, and other fonts not in CC3+ but in the directory (including 2 I designed myself), Shrewsbury does NOT show up when clicking 'More Fonts' in the text menu. Weird. But it does show if I open Annual CA2.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Quenten, yes, that is the problem exactly. As I said a couple of posts above, I now suspect this happens because the font map is incomplete, so CC doesn't fully recognize it.

Now, I really wonder how the heck it was added to the John Speed maps to begin with. Windows Voodoo. LOL
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2018

Well, it does work in CC3, where this annual was made. So it is just CC3+ that is the problem.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2018

Oh, I didn't think to try it in CC3.

The thing that got me thinking it was the font file itself, was the way it showed up in the font list in Open Office. True, it was there, but with the missing character blocks in the font name.

There is a workaround, so I'm good for now. I'm sure ProFantasy will figure it out at some point.
      text.jpg