Using City Designer for the first time

Here is a simple drawing I did on 'Paint'.

I have just got City Designer and would like to have a go at making a half decent version of this in B+W.

I also downloaded Annual 4 and so have a B+W style to use.

I also have dona a few maps now using the basic overland program so I understand the basic of how CC3 works.

My question is can this whole picture be created using City Designer?

I have seen pictures of towns created which incorporate rivers and landmasses. What I want to achieve is what you see here. The town, the river, the forest and the crop fields outside.

I don't see tools to draw land masses and rivers in the city builder program. Do I need to create this first using CC3+ Overland and then import this into the city builder program?

Sorry, I have been asking a lot of questions on this forum. I am really enjoying this program and it is really helping to pull my written adventure together. I plan to print it and have it bound into a book when finished :)

Thanks!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello orfeboy :)

I haven't got Annual 4, so I don't know if this will be true in the annual, but... in any of the built in city styles there are various river and water drawing tools available if you click the button with the crossed hammer and pencil and scroll right down to the bottom of the listed tools in the dialog that appears.
  • Cool! I will experiment... :)
  • Is there a way to change the effect on an already predetermined land mass? I have crated a land area. this has just turned grey. I am not sure why?

I originally used the 'dirt' effect when I created it, but after adding walls to the picture it is now grey. I have hit redraw but it is not that. So, is there a way to change the nature of the land drawn so that it can have a new affect on it? To save you having to draw over it with new polygons with the desired effect?
    edited April 2018
    If the effect is being generated by a Sheet effect on the sheet, you can edit the sheet effect by clicking the button with three yellow sheets in the middle on the left toolbars, but I would be wary of altering these if you are using an annual in order to get the kind of map the annual is designed to produce.

If the effect isn't in the list of sheet effects and is the colour or fill of the polygon itself, it will have been determined by the drawing tool you used to create it. That being the case you can change the properties of the polygon using the change properties button (also on the left). Again, however, if this is the way the tool has been set up to generate the type of map that the annual was designed to draw, you might want to consider that there is possibly a reason for the colour that may become more obvious as you get towards finishing the drawing ;)
  • Sorry for all the questions, but there is so much to learn!

Can I import symbols from other styles?

Symbols from overland maps into City designer and so on?

Is there anywhere to get more symbols?

I love to do stuff in black and white. I try to imitate the books from the original Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay game. I write my own adventures and then tart them up in Word before printing them and binding them into my own books. It is becoming a bit of a hobby for me.

There does not seem to be too much black and white stuff, any sources I should know about?
    edited April 2018
    Of course you can use symbols from other styles. Part of the fun of mapping with CC3+ is the facility to mix and match between styles according to personal taste.

All you need to do is click the open folder button just below the right hand end of the options button above the catalogue display on the left of the screen.

Then navigate to the correct catalogue file (the FSC file, not the actual folder containing the graphics), and open it.

You can also import your own transparent pngs, and create your own FSC files. The technique is best described in Joe Sweeney's video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Lhz-QLpX0&t=0s