JPeg Nonsense - Please Help

Hi there, I am fairly new to CC3+ but am really enjoying it. What a great program!

I have uploaded a map here that I have just done. I like to create maps for adventures that I write for WFRP first edition.

I have just done this map and am getting slightly better each time and learning from stupid mistakes.

This particular map is causing me trouble when I convert it to a JPEG file. It seems to be colouring in a part of the map in black and I do not know why?

Can anyone help?

I will post a reply to this to show the JPEG as well. (Edit: Seems I am not allowed to upload JPEGs...)

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I can't seem to replicate this problem. What export settings are you using?

Also, there shouldn't be a problem uploading jpg files, unless it is above the maximum size of 2MB. You may also wish to try another browser, some browsers sometimes send the wrong content type, which causes the file to be rejected.
  • edited April 2018
    I have replicated it.

It does it if save as a jpeg at 2000 pixels wide, but not if I save at 1000 pixels wide.
  • I don't understand what you mean by settings?

I pick save as JPEG BITMAP file.

I then go into 'advanced' tab and change the JPEG quality to 400 to get a crisper picture.

I attached a simpler JPEG here. It would not let me. It says this: Some problems were encountered
    The file you attempted to upload (River Uvemny and the Marshwood example.JPG) was empty.
    You are not allowed to upload (River Uvemny and the Marshwood example.JPG) the requested file type:

Thanks for your help!
  • My JPEG actually has more black on it than that.

Strange...
  • Settings that I used to get my above image.
  • Yes!

That definitely works better!

Now, another question if I may?

When you begin a new drawing and you add in compass pointers, scales and titles, is there any way to edit these once the drawing is done?

It seems that the drawings swallow these features later on and there seems to be no way to edit the text of the title. The normal text function alows you to create a 'glow' around the text thus revealing it better in front of the background detail. The title however remains a mess. Is there any way to sort this out?

Thanks for the help!
  • To edit the text of the title you can use Numeric Edit (left hand menu, bottom grouping). Remember, to select text you need to click on the bottom edge of a letter.

To change the properties of any text, like color, font, etc, you would use the normal change properties button using the text option.
  • Cool! Got it sorted now.

Great support.

Thanks very much!
  • I am now having a similar problem. This map is having trouble with the text. The trees are showing through in the actual letters.

I am not sure why this is happening as I have the glow effect on and the text is set ahead of symbols in the layers.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
    edited April 2018
    This can sometimes happen when the color of the text is the exact same color as the symbols below. Outlining effects, such as glow find the outline to use by comparing the composite rendering of all sheets up to this one, with the previous rendering and look for differences. Try changing the text to another color, such as a very dark grey instead of black.
  • edited April 2018
    That worked a treat!

Thanks for all your help! You sure know how to use this thing. :)
    Posted By: orfeboyThanks for all your help!
    You're welcome.
    You sure know how to use this thing
    Well, I have been accumulating a few years of experience with it by now. One do pick up things as one use it.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    LOL!

orfeboy - Remy Monsen wrote the Tome of Ultimate Mapping ;)
  • Having trouble with this one too. Trees seem to be showing up outside the border when turned into a JPEG.

I have placed the border ahead in the que in the layers section. Any ideas?
  • Here is the JPEG.

As you can see, the trees are outside.
    edited April 2018
    The screen that tidies up the edge of the map is on a Sheet called SCREEN, usually. This should be at the bottom of the list when you open the sheets dialog. If it is not, anything below it will appear on top of it in the map.

Since you have a nice border, that should probably be the very last Sheet in the list, so the order of the last two Sheets should be SCREEN, BORDER

I hope that helps :)
  • No.

There actually is no 'Screen' in my list.

I have placed 'Map Border' at the bottom and still no change.
    Ok.

I hope I explain this all right.

First, create a new sheet called SCREEN, and make sure this new sheet is the active one then click OK

Then turn on your grid and the snap function and draw a rectangle of any colour (as long as it isn't white) that is the size of the map - the extent within that nice border.

Draw a second larger rectangle of the same colour that's large enough to cover everything including anything that might be sticking out.

Then reopen the sheets dialog and hide all sheets except the SCREEN sheet, and click ok

Now you can only see the larger rectangle, but the smaller one is still there.

Using the multipoly button (its on the right hand toolbar in the lower half there), select both the rectangles and 'do it'.

This should leave you with a perfect screen on the new SCREEN sheet.

If you want it to be white, use the change properties button to change the colour.

Finally, make all the other sheets visible again, and you should have achieved your goal of hiding the tops of those trees :)
  • Wow!

Thanks a lot for that one.

I managed it. :)

Serious learning curve with this thing...

Great program though!

I even created my own symbol. I just found a little pic on the web for a boat, saved it, changed into a PNG, altered it in 'paint' to get rid of background bits I didn't want and then dragged it into one of my folders in the symbols section.

Boom! New boat symbol! :)
    Congratulations. You have just made your first ever screen :)

Most of the built in templates have a ready made screen that is generated when you create the map, but there are some templates that still don't have them - as you have just found out.

Where making your own symbols and catalogues is concerned, the only thing you need to be aware of when creating them, is that if you intend to distribute or sell your maps you need to be careful that the png you've downloaded and turned into a boat symbol is royalty free, and not copyright restricted in some way. Otherwise, and for personal use only, you should be ok ;)