Creating Racial boarders!

Hi there, firstly I'd like to apologise if this topic has been covered previously, I did search for answers prior to posting but haven't found any.

On several mapping projects I've been trying to add in coloured regions of the map to denote ownership by specific factions or nations. Once I have a region selected I can easily colour it in correctly by creating additional layers/sheets for it and applying the appropriate effects however it is in designating specific regions that my problem lies.

I would like to be able to start a particular region against its coast and then follow the coastline exactly before finishing it off by heading inland and completing the shape, however I haven't been able to find a tool or technique yet that will allow me to add an additional line that follows the coast line exactly, I have seen maps with this achieved, have the mappers just zoomed in closely and added dozens of waypoints or is there a simpler method I'm missing?

To summarise; is there an effective way to draw lines that will follow a coast line, or even is there a way to start drawing from one point of a coastline, draw a line that runs inland and then finishes at another point of the coastline and then fill that area with a specific colour scheme or effect? (I'm guessing not to the second question since even a contained area of land would still occupy its original layer/sheet, so it could be filled with a texture or colour but not have effects added independantly of the rest of its sheet/layer.)

Thanks alot for any ideas or suggestions!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited March 2009
    You can use the Trace function.
    If you look at the command line after placing the first point when using a drawing tool, it will show several options, amnongs them T - Trace.
    Hit the t key, click on the coastline to select it as the entity to trace. Then move the mouse to click on the exact starting point of the trace (You don't have to click on the line exactly. Once the trace is started, the point will snap to the line). Then just click on the ending point of the trace, and then continue the polygon as normal.
    Note that you should start the drawing tool inland, and not on the coast line.
  • Thank you Monsen, I've managed to get the drawing tools to follow coast-lines now just like I wanted. Cheers for the advice, works perfectly.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Happy to be of assistance.

Good luck with your mapping.