Fractal Terrains as a KML

A while ago I made my world map using FT3, I now have a beautiful TIF file that I commissioned. I would like to convert this into a KML file to display on Google Earth, I am having trouble finding a way to convert this and/or import it to FT3.

Is there a way to do this?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I am a bit confused here. You say you made your world in FT3, and now you have it as a TIF file you wish to import??? Do you have the original FT3 world file for your world? FT3 can export to KMZ directly (File -> Export World -> KMZ File), if you can at all avoid it, I wouldn't throw that TIF file into the mix at all, because once you have rendered a world from FT3 out to an image file, you have already lost most of the world detail. While there are a couple of ways to get an image into FT3, the image doesn't hold all the information needed to get back all the detail from the original world.
    (Note that a kml file doesn't contain any graphics, a kmz file is basically just a zipped .kml file whith images and other resources also in the file, ready for use with Google Earth)
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    What projection is your commissioned TIF image in? FT3 can handle images as overlays, but you'll need to get it into a BMP, JPG, or PNG file in the Equirectangular projection. A while back, I wrote a program called ReprojectImage ( http://www.fracterra.com/ReprojectImage.zip ) that can convert images from various projections into Equirectangular, but you will need to use another product to convert the TIF to a BMP, JPG, or PNG file first.

Once your image meets the FT3 import requirements, use Image Overlays>>Show Overlay Window in FT3 to show the Image Overlays window, then click Add to bring up the Edit Image Overlay dialog and then click Import Color Image to load your image file to your drawing. Note that you don't need your original FT3 world for this step because the image will presumably cover the whole globe.

After you see your imported image overlay on the map, use File -> Export World -> KMZ File to save that image as a KML file. The KML export in FT3 is a single-image whole-world export, so it won't have a huge amount of detail. That sort of thing might be acceptable for your world, though.