Question about compatibility with CC3 and CA

Hi everyone. I bought CC3 back in 2009. In 2011 I also bought the Character Artist pack. I really have not used these programs in about five years. I am now getting back in to them for a project I am working on.
I now notice that I have an upgrade available to me to go from CC3 to CC3+. My understanding is that CC3+ is faster, and easier to use, but does not offer anything new in terms of functionality.

1 - Is this true?
2 - My version of CC3 right now is 3.43 (update 11). I see CC3+ is like version 3.8#. Is version 3.43 the latest (or last) version of original CC3 I can get without upgrading to CC3+?

I also have an upgrade offered to me for Character Artist. I currently have 'Character Artist'. The upgrade says I can upgrade to 'Character Artist 3'.

3 - What is the difference between the two? Do I get more 'stuff' with Character Artist 3. or is it just a performance and ease-of use update?
4 - Can I upgrade to Character Artist 3, but not upgrade to CC3+? Basically, can I run Character Artist 3 on the older CC3 version?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2018
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. The old character artist you have was made for CC2. It is based on vector artwork. The new version, CA3 was made for CC3, and while it is very similar in functionality to the old version, it contains new artwork (lots of it) that looks MUCH improved. Note that the old Character artist you currently have will NOT work with CC3+, only the newer v3 upgrades work with CC3+
    4. Yes. I do recommend CC3+ though, and all v3 add-ons you have for CC3 also works with CC3+ (you need to download new installers, but the upgrade is free as long as you own the old version. (Note that the old add-ons from CC2 will not work with CC3+. They were released as compatibility updates for CC3, but for CC3+, only the V3 versions will work). Also note that all new addons that are released (starting with Perspectives 3) are only CC3+ compatible, and won't work with CC3.
  • Thank you Monsen. I wish ProFantasy could give you a commission, as you sold me. I am going to upgrade both CC3 and CA to the new versions. I just caught a video of Character Artist 3 and the graphics are way more detailed. My characters from the original Character Artist were vector and looked like paper cut out dolls; as you mentioned. The new version has a lot more details and shadow work. Thanks again.