Banding when rendered

I wonder if anyone can explain this banding when I render this map? I have tried various different export sizes and it is always there (but in different places).

Comments

• Those are coast contours. They are part of that Annual.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Do you mean the very slight banding in the landmass between dark and pale cream?

Its difficult to see, but it can be seen - yes.

I don't know what is causing it, but does it still exist when you turn the sheet effects off?
  • I almost missed it, too. My other thought was maybe a rogue object somewhere on a sheet under the landmasses. What's it look like if the sheet holding the landmass is hidden?
  • Ah, I did miss it. The landmass changes color.
  • PeteFPeteF Traveler
    I have been conducting some experiments and noted the following:

Exporting to a 4000x4000 png with sheet effects activated gives the problem as shown above. For info the colour is R244 G248 B224 or 0xfff8e0. When I turn off sheet effects or reduce the size to 1000x1000 the problem disappears.

I then changed the striping effect to a glow and the problem disapeared at 4000x4000.

I was using my own edge striping png so changed it to ring2a.png provided in an earlier thread on this forum as an example of edge striping. The problem was then reproduced but in a different (and much more visible) way (see attached).

For info my map is simply filled polygons on a LAND sheet with the edge striping efffect and a COASTLINE sheet above (i.e. below on the sheet list) with the same polygons but this time with a solid coastline and no effects.

This leads me to belive that there is some problem either directly or indirectly associated with edge striping. As the problem is not reproduced at smaller export sizes this hints at some sort of memory/resource issue.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Can you post the map this is happening with here (or send it to me at ralf@profantasy.com)? I'd like to look at the problem and see whether it can be fixed with export memory settings.
  • PeteFPeteF Traveler
    Thanks Ralf - here are the necessary files in a zipped folder. I have included the export settings, my system details and the edge stripping pngs I am using. I can confirm that this setup is producing the above effect.
  • PeteFPeteF Traveler
    Ralf - any updates on this? I've conducted some more experiments and this effect seems to happen on any polygon (even a relatively simple one) that uses the edge striping and is rendered with resolutions of around 3K^2 pixels or higher. I wouldn't mind but this precludes producing printouts at A3 for 300 dpi printing without resampling in another tool - something I don't really want to do for obvious reasons. Just for info I've tried using both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Image Magick and it makes no difference, so I'm concluding that the problem lies in the initial BMP rendering by CC. As you can see I have way more than enough memory for the 32 bit app to address.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Yes, we've isolated the problem (it is an internal rendering problem) and it will be fixed in the next update.
  • PeteFPeteF Traveler
    Thanks Ralf - excellent customer support.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Profantasy provide the best customer support I've ever experienced, certainly ;)