Myrirandios - Denargothr Region (Cartographer Guild Challenge April 2018)

Hi, here is the work I have done so far for the Cartographer Guild Mapping Challenge, where we have to map a realm with set number of cities, 'castles' and area, including %civilized vs wilderness.
I have chosen a previously unmapped are in my world of Myirandios, so I can further my mapping of that world (and guess where much of the Atlas maps will end up).
I would really appreciate advice, critique etc from this forum - I am not getting any feedback yet from the Guild, and I really trust you guys - you have always helped me make my maps better.

Comments

• That map looks great. The only thing I might consider changing is the boarders on each of the city/castle/area images around the map and the one around the map and text block itself. Plain black outlines seem to steal from the elegance of the rest of everything.
    JSM
  • Thanks jigsawman. Any suggestions? I am a bit dry of ideas at present.
  • edited April 2018
    Not sure the black outlining is such a problem - for me at least - but perhaps a bit more connection between the images and the map would be useful? Such as link-lines between the image and the place on the map it represents, say. Right now, there seems no obvious link at all, though I appreciate that as a WIP, image labels and more map labels would be your likely next move anyway.

Difficult to be certain at this resolution as well, but if the reddish-brown line is the Donargothr boundary, it may be better to shift the mapped region so this area sits more centrally within the frame. At present, its northern border (if my interpretation's correct) seems too near the top edge of the map, compared with the distance the southern border (?) is from the lower map edge. Alternatively, the scale of the map could be enlarged so this area better fills the available mapped space.
  • I tend to agree with Wyvern about the borders. The map and picture links are to come - I had thought of using numbers for the pictures, and placing these numbers on the map, rather than lines (which I dislike). The map is the way it is because i am keeping to the grid on my larger scale map of the world. However, for the competition, I do see the point, and may alter that somewhat. Thanks for that suggestion.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Lots of neat details. I like all the side images as it gives a real feel for the place.
  • Josh.P.Josh.P. Traveler
    You are giving me so many ideas for when my kids need to start doing geography projects :)
  • 12 days later
  • Here is my final rendition of the competition map for the Cartographers Guild - I am playing with the grown ups now, and their maps are just so spectacular. I don't expect to do so well, but at least I have learnt a lot, both by making the map, and getting advice. I will also be able to use this map in my Myirandios World with a few name changes.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Very nice. You did pick a font for the image titles that is very hard to read at this resolution though. Love your navigation star.