Precise placement of city streets (smooth paths)?

So I never really thought about this before, because the only city map I've made a lot of progress on is of a smaller, fairly old city, that doesn't have much of a "street grid" - the streets are fairly loose in their organization. But now I've just begun the process of trying to map out a much bigger city. And I've come across an interesting question. For reference, these are all modern cities, mapped in CC3+ using the "Modern City" 2007 annual style.

So my question is this: is there a way, when drawing using the "street" tools in this style (which are smooth path drawtools), to control exactly how the streets are placed? Meaning, let's say you want to make it so several streets all in a row are all perfectly parallel with each other. If these streets run exactly north-south or east-west, then one can use the "vanishing" effect of the cross-hair in CC3 to make sure it's perfectly horizontal or perfectly vertical, but what if the streets run diagonally? I place the first street, running, say... northeast to southwest. Then I want the second street to also be northeast to southwest, but it needs to be EXACTLY parallel to the first street.

Let's also say I'm gonna add a third, fourth, and fifth street, all going in the same direction. Now, not only do I want them to be parallel to each other, but I also want them to be spaced the same distance apart from one another, so that the distance between street 1 and street 2, is exactly the same as the distance between street 2 and street 3, and so on.

I looked around a bit, but didn't really see a way to do this. Eyeballing it would be fine in some cases, but I do wonder if there is some function in CC3/CC3+ that I just don't know about to enable this kind of precision while drawing?

Comments

• I don't use the street tools for grid streets. I use Line with Ortho on. This is a small piece but it wil show what I did. Having snap on means the streets don't always meet at the corners. You can see that from the 2 streets, with a yellow street light, just below the keep and blue moat on the upper left.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited April 2018
    The Offset commands are your friend (Draw > Offset from the menu). For good explanations of the commands, see Monsen's awesome Command of the Week post on the topic, and/or open the online help and look up offset from the Index tab. But, in a nutshell, CC3 can draw another line/path parallel next to an existing path at a distance you specify. If the first entity is a curve or irregular path then the command copies the curve and shape at a distance. This is better than a regular copy because, in the case of curves, the offset entity maintains an equal distance, which also means it has a slightly different curve to it.

I hope that helps,
    ~Dogtag
  • CielCiel Traveler
    edited April 2018
    Aha! Offset, definitely a command I didn't even know existed. But that seems perfect. Of course, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the offsets are always the same length as the original entity, but that's what trim and combine paths are for!

So thanks! This looks like just what I needed to be able to line up city streets precisely. Thanks much Dogtag!

One other question: I noticed when I pick "Offset" from the main menu, it says: "Right-click the Offset icon for the same options."

That almost makes it sound like there should be a standard CC3+ icon somewhere on the toolbars that I Can click or right-click, but I didn't see one anywhere. Is there one, or a way to add one? Or is going into the actual "Draw" menu and selecting it the only way to activate the command? Having a shortcut/icon would be quite handy.

JimP: I appreciate the effort, but that's not quite something that'd work for what I'm doing, for multiple reasons, haha. But the offset tool seems to provide exactly what I need, so all is well.
  • I keep forgetting about the offset command. So it's good Dogtag. brought it up.
    edited April 2018
    Saito S wrote:Of course, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the offsets are always the same length as the original entity, but that's what trim and combine paths are for!
    Nerd alert: While I believe the start and end points of the offset entity are near the end points for the original entity, they won't technically be the same length if they're curved, since the length will vary in order to match up the end points.  :-B
    And then Saito S asked:One other question: I noticed when I pick "Offset" from the main menu, it says: "Right-click the Offset icon for the same options."

That almost makes it sound like there should be a standard CC3+ icon somewhere on the toolbars that I Can click or right-click, but I didn't see one anywhere. Is there one, or a way to add one? Or is going into the actual "Draw" menu and selecting it the only way to activate the command? Having a shortcut/icon would be quite handy
    Sorry, but that looks like an error or, possibly, a holdover from an old version of CC. As far as I know, there's no toolbar button (though you could make one if you wanted). Thanks for pointing that out. I'll let the dev team know. That said, you can also use the command line, OFFSETCPY for Offset Copy or OFFSET1 for Offset one.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • CielCiel Traveler
    Posted By: DogtagNerd alert: While I believe the start and end points of the offset entity are near the end points for the original entity, they won'ttechnicallybe the same length if they're curved, since the length will vary in order to match up the end points.:-B
    Oh yes, I see what you mean!

And hey, I think we're all nerds here aren't we?? XD
    Sorry, but that looks like an error or, possibly, a holdover from an old version of CC. As far as I know, there's no toolbar button
    Ah, drats.
    (though you could make one if you wanted).
    Hang on... you can do that? Make toolbar buttons? I didn't know this!
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'll let the dev team know. That said, you can also use the command line,OFFSETCPYfor Offset Copy orOFFSET1for Offset one.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    No problem, and thanks for all the help! And yeah, after I posted I went back to the article by Monsen explaining the command and saw that text command. So that could be a convenient way to activate it, as well.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: Saito SHang on... you can do that? Make toolbar buttons? I didn't know this!
    Check out this article.
    edited April 2018
    D'oh!  #-o  Sorry, I should've linked to that myself.