Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorkenposan
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2018 edited

I drew this based on a pen and paper drawing someone had made. It's my second attempt at a city. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I think it's cool, but I also don't like how it looks. I just can't put my finger on it. If anyone has any tips for improvement, please share.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/kenposan/DND/Cities/Heros%20respite2_zps8gnuel1m.png
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2018

Great start. I think the issue is that it looks too perfect and orderly. The buildings are all very neatly lined up, too neat. Try messing it up and giving it a more organic look like it grew and spread more than was carefully planned and laid out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2018

Also, add some buildings outside the city - perhaps tanneries, perfumers and dyers in a malodourous district, and glassblowers in a separate area to prevent fires (as happened in Venice - which is why they them moved to the neighbouring island of Murano, where all the famous glassware comes from)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2018

Good one! Consider the change the size of the terrain tile so it does look more natural and less... well, "tiled" :)
    • CommentAuthorkenposan
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2018

Posted By: MedioGood one! Consider the change the size of the terrain tile so it does look more natural and less... well, "tiled" :)

That's one of the things that bugs me. How do you change the size of the terrain tile?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2018 edited

Just edit the fill style used (click the fill style indicator) and change the values next to 'Scaled'.
    • CommentAuthorkenposan
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2018

Posted By: MonsenJust edit the fill style used (click the fill style indicator) and change the values next to 'Scaled'.

That sounds easy, but I'm stumped. I can't find where to do this. I'm using 3+
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2018

Click the fill style (FS:) indicator in the top right to bring up the fill style dialog, then change to the bitmap files tab, select the fill you wish to change from the dropdown, and change the width and height values found next to the 'Scaled' checkmark.