Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2018

I redid the map border and deleted the bits not needed from a previous larger map.

This really needs something else. A wreck in the shallows near the point ? A reef or two ?

Effects run, but that doesn't look correct either.
      LonelyLighthouse01_0005b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2018

I would start by looking at the vegetation. When you create a zoomed in map, there are always lots of small details that don't show up on the zoomed out parent version. For example, what looks like a huge perfectly flat empty plain on the parennt map may have things like small copses of trees, small streams, small hills, ponds/small lakes, a small swamp, etc. Zooming in is all about adding details.
    Could probably consider adding a very tiny island or two off the coast, and maybe add features such as a small ruin (even a larger ruin probably wouldn't have turned up on higher level zooms unless it was significant), a things like small hamlets or farmsteads, maybe a cave and/or a mine, etc...
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Some stops along the Old Wagon Road would be nice
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Its a desolate area due to the storms. But I can see adding some ruins along the road, and maybe a hamlet. Or some ruins on the left side of the point from the light house.

Last night I thought of a sinkhole above the area where the word 'Silent' is on the map.

I'm still getting used to the mid-range maps.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Great start, Jim :)

If you add more details the size of the labels could come down some?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Yes. The 'old wagon road' is smaller, but not by much.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2018 edited

The old light house keeper tella ya, "That this point was once a thriving area of small hamlets of people. But the sinkhole showed up and swallowed a manor house. The land gave way and formed yon cliffs and sands. You can sometimes hear the wailing of those who were drowned there.

Would you like some tea ? It will keep the chills away. Tea is good for ye. Have Some Tea !"

As he fades away in the gathering sunlight.

And the cliffs don't quite match the shoreline. Michael Schley symbols. I'll have to work on the effects.

The evergreens are shrunken from the wind and the oaks are all gone. Their trunks slowly rotting away.
      LonelyLighthouse01_0014b.png
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Now this is looking awesome, Jim! I really like the sinkhole, especially!
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Maybe think about firming-up the whole coastline with a darker line edge, Jim? That would be appropriate for a map at this scale, and help the cliffs blend in better. And maybe make the whole coast more rugged - storms, after all - and some windswept hills inland, say. There are some nicely windswept leafless trees in the Herwin Wielink style that could work here as well.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I'll check into that. The whale apparently doesn't like the light house.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2018

I couldn't get an effect to give me a darker coastline. I simply used outlineb and used that instead.
      LonelyLighthouse01_0015b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2018

Try Glow or Outer glow with an appropriate distance and colour eg color 66
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2018

Looks like a bit too wide.
      LonelyLighthouse01_0016b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I agree - just reduce the distance and blur, otherwise it looks good
    • CommentAuthorJimP

strength of 10, instead of 12. Radius from 0.5 to 0.3, using map units on both.
      LonelyLighthouse01_0017b.png
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Like most effects, Glow is always worth experimenting with. At present, I think it perhaps makes the land look too much as if it's floating on the sea.

As an alternative, you might try a black Glow, with parameters adjusted so it looks more like a simple black outline. That could marry things up a little more with the cliffs symbol, for instance. Or you could just draw a black outline around the coast either freehand, or perhaps easier, by copying the land polygon to a different sheet (above the LAND sheet in the stack, of course!), and then converting the new polygon to a solid fill with an appropriate line width for a black outline (or another colour if black seems too harsh).

I'd be inclined to hold off on too much Blur at this close level of mapping scale. This is of a level where modern maps show every individual building, fence and hedge line, even things like individual boulders if they're large enough. I'm not suggesting that's needed here, just that features can be much more exactly defined on maps of this type.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I think out crops would show at this scale but not boulder. I'll keep trying different effects to get something that looks good.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2018

Depends on how big the boulder is ;D
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Yes i've been in the mountains from time to time.

I have even heard other people say 'Now, thats a really big boulder !'.

I think they were looking at an outcrop, but it could have been one of several 'size of a house' boulders nearby to.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Here we go, changed the glow from Outside to Inside. Increased strength from 10 to 11. Moved some text so its readable again.
      LonelyLighthouse01_0018b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2018

Any more suggestions ? I would like to submit this map for the Atlas this week.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2018

Here is the text for the above map.

Forlorn Archipelago, Basher Bay, The Lonely Lighthouse on Fisher Island

Name: JimP

Contact details: Profantasy forums http://crestofastar.drivein-jim.net/

Map Description: A lighthouse on Stormy Point. Not much out here.

The tree symbols represent an area of trees, not an actual tree count.

The map is 5.3 miles by 4.5 miles.

Style used is CC3+ Overland, template is Overland Mike Schley.

Bitmap fills and colors used:

Peninnsula land is Land_MS

water is Sea_MS

color 100 for the green in the compass

For the var-color hamlets, Desert_MS

Font is Baskerville Old Face

Symbols:

Mike Schley Overland

The old wagon road is how the light house is supplied with food and water. Two small hamlets provide shelter along the way for the wagoneers.

The sinkhole has been known to move. Adventurers that go to look into it, disappear.

The Weeping Sands are the remains of the Dread Cliffs breakaway.

Ruins: Spotted Elm and Bashed. Two hamlets that met a bad end not long after the sinkhole first showed up.

The Wandering Sands is one reason for the lighthouse. They move about in the shallows. No one knows why.

A few small areas of pine trees. The oaks are all dead and dieing.

There is someone keeping the Lonely Lighthouse in use, but there is a ghost as well.

The old light house keeper tella ya, "This point was once a thriving area of small hamlets of people. But the sinkhole showed up and swallowed a manor house. The land gave way and formed yon cliffs and sands. You can sometimes hear the wailing of those who were drowned there.

Would you like some tea ? It will keep the chills away. Tea is good for ye. Have Some Tea !"

As he fades away in the gathering sunlight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2018

Jim's Lonely Lighthouse is now in the atlas.

Thanks for contributing.