Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    So I'm trying to do a hall of mirrors and have been working on effects. I've made a simple symbol which I happy enough with, but I can't find a reasonable effect(s) to use.

I've tried putting a glow around it, which looks ok in part, (see image) if I go this route, I need to copy the walls to a mask type layer (can't just move the regular wall sheet because then the wall shadow dominates. I thought about some sort of directional glow/fade, but then would need 4 sheets given the 4 directions the mirrors face.

Ideas welcome, thanks :)
      Screen Shot 04-02-18 at 07.46 PM 001.PNG
    This is with the walls copied to the wall mask sheet. Looks ok, but pretty subtle. Thoughts?
      Screen Shot 04-02-18 at 08.06 PM.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2018

How about making everything else fractionally darker? The floor, the stuff the walls are made of - everything.
    But how to transition that?

I liked the second image above, until I realized that the wall copy had a blur on it from the wall mask. I put it on it's own sheet and then the edge transitions got worse with artifacts and such.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2018

I'm not understanding your terminology.

What do you mean by 'transition'?

What sort of effect are you hoping to achieve? Glowing mirrors?
    So, when I copied zig-zag walls to another sheet so I could put them on a sheet (tried both the WALLS MASK and a custom/new sheet) so that they could hide the wall shadow, then the end of the wall segment doesn't transition into the underlying wall (i.e. the wall bevel effect particularly). (i.e. the part where the wall segment ends and the underlying wall becomes visible).

I can't really copy the entire wall, because the map is very large (Undermountain). So someplace I have to have the upper/mask wall transition to the regular wall, and it doesn't look good (again, because of the bevel effect)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I'm really sorry, LE. You have completely lost me.

I think you need someone else perhaps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Instead of a glow effect on the mirrors (which affects the wall), how if you make a manual glow on the front side of the mirrors only, using a partially transparent brightly colored polygon with edge fade? That way you can control exactly where the glow goes.
    That's OK Sue, I appreciate your efforts :)

That's a new technique for me Monsen, But I think you are right. Do you think to do it as part of the image itself (like some of the torches that have glows)? I'm not quite sure how adding a polygon to the symbol wouldn't fade the mirror part as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2018

No, I am thinking of just drawing a polygon in the map in front of the mirror, that won't affect the mirror at all. You can even place it on a sheet below the mirror, since this allows you to extend it slightly under the mirror, making it clear that the glow comes from it.
    I went ahead and for now am using the window glow 3 from Wall Features of DD3.
      Screen Shot 04-10-18 at 10.40 PM.PNG