CC3+ is Slow

Hey guys! Long time no post! I hope everyone has been well! As I do work on large scale maps with a ton of entities on my map, I do tend to get a lot of down time, when hiding, freezing, changing layers/sheets as well as the draw too. It's still quicker than CC3. So my question is, does CC3+ run off HDD, Graphic Card and/or Ram? Most of my time in designing large scale maps is through it loading so slow. I was wondering if it was a hardware issue on my end? I am saving up for a SSD soon. I was wondering if that would help decrease load/render times?

Comments

• I know it doesn't use the video card.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited April 2018
    CC3+ is generally CPU-bound. The importance of system features is (very approximately):
    total amount of RAM up to about 6GB,
    OS type (64-bit OS will let the program run with 4GB of usable memory; 32-bit OS lets the program run with 2GB of usable memory),
    amount of CPU cache,
    CPU clock speed,
    memory speed,
    hard disk speed (mostly for first load if you have sufficient RAM),
    graphics card speed.

The general process for drawing in CC3+ is:
    1) clear the background image
    2) load image files needed for bitmaps and fills. After the initial load, decoded images will be cached by CC3+ and encoded images by the OS.
    3) for each sheet in the drawing
    3a) draw everything on a sheet into a memory image
    3b) apply effects to the memory image
    3c) apply the processed sheet image to the background image
    4) show the final image on the screen

Disk speed (SSD vs. spinning rust) usually only affects step 2. The disk hardware usually only has an impact on the first redraw.
    Graphics card speed may have a minor impact on 3a and 4, depending on your OS and graphics card.
    CPU speed, cache, memory speed, have a major impact on step 3b and 3c. These steps are usually the most performance-intensive, with certain effects like blur having a severe impact.

How slow a drawing takes to render is also affected by the entities that you're drawing. The slowest entities overall are bitmap-filled smooth polygons. The worst performance killer is not the entity type, but entity fill. If you're drawing a hatch-filled entity (especially an oriented hatch fill), then that hatch fill will be composed of thousands of entities that need to be drawn individually.
  • Great detail, thanks Joe.

Farsight, what I do it try to hide sheets and layers that I don't need. Especially those with bitmaps fills in them.
  • edited April 2018
    I guess that's my problem then, my bottleneck is CPU. I'm running two 1080's in SLI and they don't seem to be doing anything to contribute to CC3+ performance.

qsjRpOy.png
  • I don't think you're going to get much improvement with another CPU, that's already pretty near the top end. If your maps are that large, you're just going to have to start using the sheets and layers to bring things into except-able performance.

For reference, I'm running i7-4712HQ @2.30 GHz and I don't consider my maps all that intense but use blanked sheets and layers.

I think on my current map the biggest culprit is cave walls, they use a bitmap fill and are fractalized. I had to go and reduce the number of nodes and I usually keep them and the cave floors hidden so I have better performance.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    As Joe said, CC3+ is CPU-bound, so the CPU will almost always be the bottleneck no matter how fast your CPU is. Of course, there is a big difference between slow and fast CPU's, but they will always be the limiting factor.

Because of the processing a program like CC3+ needs to do for each redraw (much much more than for example an image editor), there are no processor invented that CC3+ won't be slow on if the map gets complicated enough, although it shouldn't be slow on more "normal" size maps, but I don't know how complicated your maps are (CC3+ doesn't put any limits on what you can do, but I do recommend rethinking complexity if a map gets too slow to work with. Also, on very complex maps, it may be an advantage to work with effects off, calculating those effects all the time really eats CPU cycles)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited April 2018
    As a benchmark for how complicated a map will slow things down on a much smaller machine (64 bit, 4GB RAM, dual core +2 virtual core laptop that's officially incompatible with Win 10 but still manages to work despite it), I have a city map 5000 x 5000 map units in size that has app. 130-150 sheets (each with 1-5 sheet effects), three sets of fills (not including 20 of my own 3000 pi fills), and well over 2000 symbols including all the houses and trees. Its impractical to run with the effects on. Without the effects everything works at normal speed except zoom, pan and redraw (understandably), which can take 30 seconds to respond.

It doesn't crash though. It just takes a really long time to do any one of those 3 things - but we are talking about a machine that only ever has 1.7 GB RAM available nowadays thanks to Win 10, and which struggles to cope with processors that have been kneecapped by the recent security upgrades.

(If this thread is still active by the time I've saved enough for a new laptop with more RAM and processors, I'll update those facts :) )

[EDIT: actually, thinking about it, could it be the security upgrades over the last 3 months, which were feared to slow things down by up to 30% that are causing this particular problem? Processor speeds will never be what they were last year!]
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2018
    Posted By: Loopysue[EDIT: actually, thinking about it, could it be the security upgrades over the last 3 months, which were feared to slow things down by up to 30% that are causing this particular problem? Processor speeds will never be what they were last year!]
    It might be. I know the speed of the modern processors (6th, 7th and 8th gen Intel) are almost unaffected (because these could be fixed in a different way), but speed of the older processors, like the 4th gen both LoreEntrails and mlesnews have was hit much harder.
    I had a student in my office the other day with an older i7 processor. It would normally be a beefy machine, but some tasks where slowed to a crawl after the intel spectre/meltdown fixes. Personally, I am running a processor new enough that it could be fixed without taking the severe speed hit, but those older ones wouldn't. I am not sure if this affects CC3 performance or not though, but it sure is a thought.
    This is why I desperately need a new machine. Everything is taking so long to do!
    The exploits for the Spectre and Meltdown processor problems rely on undesirable behavior when making a system call. The fixes involve doing some extra work at every system call to make the undesirable behavior irrelevant. The hardest-hit software will be that which makes a great many system calls in a given period of time. Reading files and rendering the basic drawing elements (lines and polygons) do make system calls and can be affected by the slowdown, but effects should be largely immune because they don't usually make any system calls. The short version of that is that some drawings will be impacted more than others by the processor security updates.
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    From my point of view, the element that has the largest impact on performances is the screen resolution. I have a 4K screen, and when working full screen, I have lots of performance issues (even with effects disabled). One of the biggest issue being that very often, the drawing cycle, as described by jslayton happens not once, but twice while refreshing a picture (resulting in a green flash on the screen, and a doubled refreshing time).

However, if I reduce the window so that the effective drawing resolution becomes much lower, then performances become acceptable, and in some circumstances (usually reducing the window size even further), I can even enable effects and continue working. This is annoying, giving the feeling of drawing on a post-stamp, but this is the only way I found to get decent performances (I don't have any performance issues with my computer with any other program, including games). Sometimes, I look at youtube videos about CC3+, and the performance is huge compared to what I have in fullscreen.
    Gathar is completely correct in pointing out that the number of pixels drawn is always the limiting factor in terms of redraw speed. Some of the implementations used in the effects system (especially blurs and point lights) are particularly ill-behaved.
    How big is a 4K screen - in terms of inches?
    edited April 2018
    A 4k screen is 3840x2160 pixels (twice the 1920x1080 HD screen dimensions in each direction). The size in inches will vary according to the screen resolution (there are 4k screens available that are well under 10 inches, as well as some that are over 70 inches).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p#/media/File:Vector_Video_Standards2.svg shows some of the more popular video standard resolutions in use down over the years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution#/media/File:Digital_video_resolutions_(VCD_to_4K).svg shows how the common broadcast resolutions vary. The rendering system in CC3+ was developed back when HD (1920x1080) was a high-end device.
    Thanks Joe :)

That's the way of things isn't it. I wonder just how big things will get before we finally accept that 'this is enough', and 'I wouldn't be able to see the difference if we doubled it again because I don't have the eyes of a hawk'?
    8k screens are available in the wild. It's basically trying to hit about 60+ samples per degree of field of view, which is generally accepted as the limit of human visual acuity. The farther away a screen is, the bigger it needs to physically be to hit that goal for a fixed resolution. There are physical and practical limitations to how high a resolution is useful: there are no such limits for marketing purposes.

The desire for huge and high-resolution screens is as much for multi-viewer experiences as anything (the home theater). A single human has a relatively small area of their visual field that hits the limit stated above, so you can get by with smaller screens held closer for a single-person device. Sharing devices means that you need to provide high resolution everywhere on the device and at a larger distance.

How much is enough? It depends on the level of bragging rights you want with your friends. After spatial resolution (pixels on the screen) comes temporal resolution (how many frames per second), but because CC3+ doesn't continually redraw its screen under most situations, temporal resolution is less important for it. That's not to say that I wouldn't like it to be much faster, but the compatibility needs for some of the features that have been implemented in CC3+ are, um, complex.
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    I sincerely believe my 4k screen is not only for bragging :)

Before, with HD, I worked with one application full screen, one document in the application, now, I can work with two documents (real-size vertical A4) or two applications side-by-side, and the text is crystal clear, with individual pixels invisible.

Question for jslayton: What API is used by CC3+ for drawing? Is this gdi, openGL,D3D, something else?..
    I agree that 4k is definitely useful for most pure strain humans at reasonable monitor sizes. A 27" 4k monitor about at the perceptual threshold for normal viewing distances and vision, but an 8k monitor at 24" is a bit above that threshold and as much a marketing gimmick as anything for desktop use. A 5.7" phone at 2560x1440 (531ppi) isn't much use for most humans over the age of 30 (or most of them below that age, either). It does play into the "bigger numbers are better" philosophy of most marketers, though.

The FastCAD core dates to the mid 90s from the comments. It's straight GDI rendered to in-memory DIBs. It uses custom bitmap software to do its fills, which is why you get nearest-neighbor sampling and artifacts along edges of some filled entities. The effects system uses the drawn DIBs to apply software-based operations. Switching the rendering engine to something other than its current state is a huge effort, but the initial prototype showed some promise.
  • As an old geezer, my eyes see no different between HD and regular television shows. I noticed that my satellite shows are now all HD. I didn't notice anything other than the channel name changing. So, unless pressed by monitor failure I wont be getting a 4k screen. Sadly, they are too new to go on sale at what I can afford.

My current 24" monitor is 1920 x 1080p. Works fine for me. I don't have to wear my eye glasses when looking at my computer screen.
  • pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Traveler
    I have a stupid question, are the all of your cpus turned on? Windows defaults to one cpu. You have to manualy go in and turn the others on. Just asking since a lot of people are unaware of that detail.
    How weird!

I have 2 real ones, and 2 virtual ones. All have always been automatically turned on without me having to do anything. There was one app that couldn't 'see' the virtual CPUs no matter what I did (nothing to do with PF software I hasten to add). I suppose it must be different between different machines, and even between different apps :)
  • 1 year later
  • edited September 2019
    Hey, sorry for the thread necromancy but are there maybe any things that people can recommend turning off to speed things up? I've been working on a really huge map, and it was working pretty fine. However, I downloaded the latest update for CC3 Plus today when I bought the token treasury, and since then its been stopping responding. My system is pretty souped up, with 24 GB of RAM and is all of about 3 years old, and given that the problems came up after installing an update, I'm pretty certain they're tied to that. Anyway, interested to see if there's any things that people traditionally turn off (and that perhaps I did a year or so back and forgot, and the program turned back on). I will also note that I was commonly used to using the symbol style toggle button all the time, and since the change it just doesn't work at all and I just get a pop up. As far as my cores go, I have and AMD CPU with 12 CPU's at 3.70 GHZ
    Hi pwallace :)

The usual tricks are to put sets of things on different layers (for example districts of a city) and hide layers not currently being used... this is layers not sheets, so that you can carry on working on any sheet with stuff hidden.

You can also work with effects off, work at low res, and hide sheets if you aren't working on them.

If you think this is related to the latest update that is a separate issue, and maybe should be reported to tech support?
  • edited September 2019
    How do I check if effects are off and if I'm at low res?

(if by low res are you talking about the size of the drawing, which mine is about 13800 by 9400 in size)

Also, is there any way to see how many objects are in the drawing by command. One thing I did do was add more objects in the form of a forest, but it honestly wasn't a whole lot more than I had in the north (maybe an extra 5% to what was previously on the map). I was hand adding each object, not using an autofiller, so the forest isn't just a deluge of objects (just saying that because I know its slower, but I did that so I wouldn't have a bajillion objects)
  • For effects, look at the top row of CC3+.

You will see a folder with binoculars. Above that is S: and a word here

Click on that. About the middle of the popup, there is a square that says Activate Sheet Effects.

If checked they are on. No check mark, they are off.
    The extent of the drawing normally doesn't matter (height and width in map units), though since most drawings are much smaller than yours you are in territory beyond my certain knowledge.

The resolution I was talking about is the resolution at which the bitmap textures and symbols are displayed. CC3 has 4 different resolution images for every texture and symbol asset stored away in the Profantasy folders. These four resolutions are called VH (very high), HI (high), LO (low), and VL (very low). Normally CC3 will decide which resolution to display for each fill and symbol in your drawing depending on how far in or out you are zoomed, but you can force CC3 to use only the LO res images for everything all the time by clicking the hourglass button on the left toolbar and setting "Display Speed" to "Fixed Bitmap Quality", and "Low". If you fix the display speed at LO don't forget what you have done when you render the map to a bitmap image, since you will need to open the Display Speed dialog again and return it to automatic before rendering your image.

Another thing that can slow your map down is if you have a very intricate coastline or other vector shape that has thousands of nodes in it. Most usually this is caused by people making the mistake of having unnecessarily complex coastlines - a problem that can be compounded by tracing sections of that coastline as the edge of various terrain textures. If you have tens of thousands of nodes in your map your map will be necessarily slow and may even crash from time to time. A comment made by Remy Monsen just recently on another thread suggested that 15,000 nodes should be taken as a normal maximum in most cases, though some maps have as many as 30,000. I am only guessing here, but if your map is itself quite huge I imagine that you have made it this large in order to have a lot of detail in it, so this may be contributing to the problem.

You can find out how many nodes you have in your map by using the Info->List tool and selecting the largest and most complex shapes you have drawn. The node count is in the information given in the blue box and will appear for each entity separately at the top of the list of coordinates for the entity. Worth checking? Most certainly if you have a highly detailed map of the size you describe.

What to do about it...

Most coastlines are far to detailed for their intended purpose, so it does little harm to use the SIMPLIFY command (you type SIMPLIFY on your keyboard and hit enter). Look at the command line at the bottom of your CC3 window and you will see it is asking for a number. The number you give is the minimum distance between consecutive nodes in map units. On a map that size (if you are really talking about 13800 x 9400 map units) I would suggest trying 1 or 2 to start with, or even higher if you have way over 15,000 nodes. If you don't like the result CTRL+Z will reverse the effect so that you can try with a lower number.
    Oh look at that! I went rambling on about nodes and never actually answered the last part of your question there!

You can find out quite a bit of information about your map using the Info->Count All tool, which will give you a list of totals.
  • edited September 2019
    oh shoot, wish I would have seen this. So, I got irritated and removed the installation and just re-installed up to version 3.89 I guess it is instead of 3.91, and I just loaded the file that was going so slow and it loaded quicker. I'm gonna leave it up and see if this fixed it. Oddly, I'm still seeing the icon for the token treasury, even though I didn't reinstall that. Hopefully the problem is gone. That being said, here's my counts. Will compare to above.

38 2D Point Entities
    716 2D Line Entities
    137 2D Circle Entities
    656 2D Arc Entities
    10 2D Ellipse Entities
    115 2D Elliptical Arc Entities
    330 2D Path Entities
    264 2D Polygon Entities
    495 2D Smooth Polygon Entities
    65 2D Spline Entities
    326 2D Text Entities
    934 Symbol Definition Entities
    11645 Symbol Reference Entities
    2 2D Text Attribute Entities
    106 2D Multipoly Entities
    2217 XP Entities
    3 File Notes Entities

18059 Entities occupying 3132.66k of memory
    If everything you have tried seems to indicate that the update is to blame for the slow down it might be best to let Profantasy know about the problem by contacting technical support. You never know - they might be able to put things right for you so that you can install the update and still have the same speed as before - if it really is the update causing the slow down.