Converting Continent to CC3

I built a continent map a while ago in cc2, but never finished. Tonight I thought I'd dust it off and start learning cc3. Comments are welcome, and hopefully this format will work...

If you're wondering about the white space on the right side, it's a standard template for my world. For reasons that are no longer compelling to me, I created the original world map as an interrupted format. So each lobe of the globe is divided into standard sheets, which I can print at 8.5"x11". So the right side will be included in the map that is one over, which is a mirror image of this. It's easier to see than explain.

Steve

Comments

• Now that I'm thinking about it, here is the original cc2 world map
    ADC Worldmap

The map above is part of the region that has all the text on it on the world map
  • sdavies2720sdavies2720 Traveler
    edited March 2009
    This is kind of fun. I realized that I had an in-process version of Map III-B, the one to the right of the first map I posted (which is II-C), with Map II-C Pasted in and rotated so I could match up the contour lines:
    ADC Continent IIIB

CC2/3's ability to rotate things is really handy for this.
  • I'm not sure why exactly, but I find those maps to be very striking. I look forward to seeing more!
  • Yup, me too. I like the coast lines and the mountains. Reminds me I have to better my own technique... :-)
  • sdavies2720sdavies2720 Traveler
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I'm updating my technique for CC3.

Does anyone have suggestions or examples for snow-covered ground and mountains? The land north of the Ice Stop mountains should be snowy and I'd like to reflect that in the map

Steve
  • I'll be working on a more detailed Tundra map soon, something with semi-transperent textures. When I have some stuff ste up I'll post them here in the forum. I'll either make them to be overlays over existing textures (on another layer) or just modify the CC3 textures, not sure yet which will look better.
  • Thanks. Can anyone point me to a tutorial on making CC3 symbols? I know I've seen one, but my normal CC2 approach of loading an existing system and using it as a model made me realize that there are a lot of subtleties that I'm missing.

Thanks to everyone for help, and thanks for the awesome list

Steve
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited March 2009
    Posted By: sdavies2720Thanks. Can anyone point me to a tutorial on making CC3 symbols?
    Page 54 and onwards in the CC3 user manual contain the information you need to create symbols.

The raster part of the symbols must be made in an image editor, and I don't think there is a tutorial available for that part.