Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2018

So it was brought to my attention that a couple of the buildings are flat with the shading apparently not working. They are all fine on my screen, so I tried saving them in a different format and they came out the same. Then I tried a screen capture and here you go, all working perfectly fine. So why would CC3+ not show them properly in a saved file? I kept the file size small so I could post here? Any thoughts?
      Celt Symbols.jpg
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

It's not clear what the various souterrains (subterranean Iron Age settlement features) were for, as their form shows regional variants (sometimes reflected in different names still now - the Cornish example at Carn Euny Quenten showed is locally called a fougou instead), and the archaeological evidence for their use is either wholly lacking or ambiguous. It's plausible they were for some kind of food storage - cool and underground, if potentially damp, certainly. In a fantasy context, there seems no reason why variants like Scott's roof cover between two roundhouses shouldn't be available to mappers regardless of any real-world considerations, of course.

Might be nice to have a "skeleton"-roof version - so no thatch, just the timbers and wall-lines - as well, Scott, if only for the sake of completeness. And maybe some straight wattle fence panel/gate pieces?

Is the large house with the walkway round it based on a crannog style? It would certainly work that way if not, though it might need a small boat, perhaps a coracle or two, to go with it...

Look forward to the brochs next; you know how mappers are, always wanting more symbols ;D
    • CommentAuthorScottA

That's a good idea, Wyvern, about just a skeleton structure. I did the in-progress build and the ruined building, so I suppose that's the only one left. It would take much time to knock that one out.

The large round with the decking is meant to be a village meetinghouse. I'd seen several examples of those before coming across the crannog building. Again, it would be easy enough to make a duplicate and add a small boat to indicate its aquatic purpose.

I'll get working on those two. I also have your rain trenches still in my head but I've not found a satisfactory way to make them yet.

Whatever I do with these symbols, I'll also include my thatch roofing fill to go along with it so that mappers could add more buildings of their own design and be completely compatible. That's something that's always bothered me about some (not all) of the CD3 premade buildings -- there is no way to match them, so if you use them they stick out unless that's all you use.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

In answer to your question, Scott - it may be that some of the lower resolution map files have gone a bit wrong owing to the manual alterations that were necessary to prevent seams from appearing in the cone shapes (due to the antialiasing used by CC3 in the production of the lower res images blurring the line between red=0 and red=255).

If the map file is only just a single pixel a different size to the image file in any of those image-map pairs, that particular resolution won't work at all. It will be as if there is no map file at that resolution.

You can identify which files are causing the problem either by viewing the CC3 map at different fixed resolutions, or by comparing the pixel dimensions of the image pairs in the folder. You can see the pixel size by hovering over the file.

If that isn't what's causing the problem I don't know what is. In that case I think we might need to wait for Remy to come back to lend us his genius thoughts on the matter. He always seems to know exactly what's wrong with a failing symbol effect at a glance.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2018 edited

A little thread necromancy seemed appropriate at this point, as this set of Scott's Celtic buildings has just been released by ProFantasy as an official extra for the CD3 add-on to CC3+. And delightful it is too! See this PF blog post for more details, if you haven't already. And if you already own CD3, you can collect, download and install this new symbol set from your PF Registration Page.

Thanks ProFantasy, and excellent work, Scott!
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2018

Thanks so much, Wyvern! Very kind of you to say.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

It is well deserved, Scott :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

A great little set5, Scott, and I will be making a Celtic Hill fort for the Atlas (and my own world) with these very soon. Thank you so much both for your time and generosity, and above all your creative artistry.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2018

Got it and thanks !
    • CommentAuthorelvwood
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2018

Sorry, I'm not seeing it? I log in to my registration page, the downloads tab confirms that City Designer 3 is registered - but I can't seem to see a link to the Celtic stuff. Any pointers?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

You have to click on the CD3 download as if you are going to download CD3 all over again. Its one of the 5...6(?) files in there.

Down another level. Its not shown on the main download page, but inside the CD3 download popup window.
    • CommentAuthorelvwood

Thanks, Sue - got it now!