Blending edges of bitmap fill tiles

I'm experimenting with bitmap fill tiles to add more realistic grass textures in my village map.

Going to Draw -> Insert file, I chose the following background:

CC3Plus/Bitmaps/Tiles/2000x2000/land_1

This allows me to import rectangular bitmap tiles which I can scale to size. I've imported the tiles into a separate sheet titled "Texture Fill".

But how do I blur the edges of each tile so they blend together seamlessly?

As you can see in the attached map, the edge between the two tiles is visible. I've tried the Blur and Edge Fade effects without success.

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    You need to put the two textures on two different sheets and then you can use Edge Fade Inner to blend one of them into the other. See attached version of the drawing. Note that I can't test your textures, because CC3+ doesn't store them internally - they are missing for me. I've added two other textures below.

And by the way, using Tools > Import bitmap fill styles is the better way to get textures into CC3+ instead of simply image imports. That way you can apply the texture fill to any kind of entity.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I can't see them either, but Ralf is right about it being better to import seamless textures as bitmap fills.

If you dislike the repeating pattern using just one seamless texture in a single large polygon on a single sheet (the repeating pattern is called 'redundancy', and I don't like it either), add a second sheet (as Ralf indicated) and draw irregular polygons of a second similar texture in a random fashion within the area. If that's not enough, add a third sheet and a third similar seamless texture.

On all three sheets use an Edge Fade Inner sheet effect and adjust each one separately for best effect :)
  • They are right. I have used the same technique for some of my work.
  • wow, Charles, this is beautiful! what symbol set did you use?
  • This is all Charles' own work, LadieStorm! And gorgeous indeed it is! See this Show and Tell topic for more, and more detailed views of many of the symbols created.
  • Robert FeyerharmRobert Feyerharm Newcomer
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Now I've encountered another problem - the Edge Fade, Inner sheet effect isn't working on the bitmap tiles I've inserted.

Here's a screen shot of the folder address where my Filters are located - are the dll files out of date?

BTW, after I updated Windows on my PC I see that CC3+ is saved to two locations, in C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus and C:\Program Files (x86)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus, with two sets of Filter folders in both folders (but no dll files in C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus\Filters). I wonder if this is messing up my sheet effects. Maybe I need to copy the dll files over to C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus\Filters?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Don't mess with the .dll's. That won't do you any good.

For your images, make sure to define them as fill style as Ralf explained above and draw an entity with them, edge fade doesn't work with symbols and other inserted images.