Need to make an "Old School" gameboard

What products should I be using to create an "old school" type of a game board. Old school meaning - start to finish folloiwng spaces along a path, where the spacse have icons meaning what type of action might happen, or what card to draw.. I want the gameboard to be in a forest folowing a rock path through the woods and a stream coming through part of the gameboard. Maybe have a pond or two. I have the following programs:
Campaign Cartographer 3 Plus
Cartographer's Annual Vol. 1 (2007)
Cartographer's Annual Vol. 2 (2008)
Cartographer's Annual Vol. 3 (2009)
Cartographer's Annual Vol. 4 (2010)
CC2 Dioramas
Character Artist 3
City Designer 3
Cosmographer 3
Dungeon Designer 3
Source Maps: Castles!
Symbol Set 1 v3 - Overland
Symbol Set 2 v3 - Floorplans
Symbol Set 3 v3 - Modern
Symbol Set 4 - Dungeons of Schley
Tome of Ultimate Mapping
Tome of Ultimate Mapping v3

Thank you for any help you can give.

Nancy

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I think if I was going to try and do that I would start by creating a new map in the style of my choice, making sure that the sides were proportionally correct for the sides of the board. For example if the board is square I would make sure that width and height settings of the new map were the same.

Then I would probably lay down the path as a very wide smooth path (and I mean as wide as the full path through the forest width) and editing the nodes to move them around until I had it looking exactly as I wanted it to look.

After that, I'm not sure, but that in itself is a start :)
  • I think Sue's right about what to start and think about - such as what size and shape the gameboard will be, and what the path layout will be. Personally, I'd rough this out on paper first, before even thinking about switching on the computer - and I have designed a few games on these lines down the years, though all long before CC3+ was about to make life simpler!

From what you've described, I suspect DD3, the SS2 & 4 sets, plus the dungeon/battlemap items from the Annuals, will be among the items you'd most likely find helpful, since there are top-down tree and shrub symbols among those, and many other objects and creatures, as well as tools to help draw paths and watercourses, and in a variety of different styles. You may find it best to settle for one style, but be prepared to use symbols from others when you find your preferred style doesn't have that one key thing you REALLY need to add...