Ostigard, a big city in John Roberts style (input desired)

This map is to big to upload here so I am including a link to my dropbox photo.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf1fve05d9lro84/Ostingard2.jpg?dl=0

I am looking for input on all parts of the map. I am trying to split things up into districts based on the splits the twenty foot roads make in the city. I am also experimenting with shanty towns outside the city. The city is supposed to hold 20,000+ souls.

The wood buildings are for craftsmen, they live and work here. The blue and red buildings are where the various merchants and high level craftsmen live. Jewelers and Goldsmiths vs. Fletchers and Blacksmiths. The central area is the city center where most of the cities business goes on. Shops carrying goods from all over the continent, fine dining, the best inns and the like. These things can be found all over the city in various areas but the best places are found here. The area on the bottom inside the walls is for the duke's castle and the walled area set off the main wall is going to be for either a powerful guildsman or the town wizard.

List of things I would like comments on if possible

Overall look of the map, does the map look reasonable for a large city? Is the map pleasing to the eye?
Position and execution of shanty towns, do they look to cluttered?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Looks very impressive :)

With such a large city you might want to consider a slightly different method of depicting the burbs. I first saw it being used by HadrianV. He drew them as building width lines on a separate sheet, and added a bevel to that sheet to make the lines appear as rooftops.

That's just a suggestion, by the way. There's nothing wrong with doing them the way you are doing them ;)