Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2018

Just something I'm tinkering with as a distraction (like I don't have enough OTHER things to do!)...
      Gnoll Outpost.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2018

Love this
    • CommentAuthorJosh.P.
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2018

Love the custom scale and compass rose :D
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Wonderful :)

The kind of weird shaped building I would probably manage to cobble together if civilisation fell and I was all on my own with no modern technology to help me build my new wilderness home :P
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Thanks! I figured a gnoll shanty town would be haphazardly cobbled together and strewn with debris and bones.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Well I'm not so sure I'd leave bones strewn around my new home, but maybe I'd have a veg plot if I could rescue any seeds to grow.
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

Posted By: LoopysueWell I'm not so sure I'd leave bones strewn around my new home, but maybe I'd have a veg plot if I could rescue any seeds to grow.

I've never pictured Gnolls as ones to pick up after themselves, nor eat their vegetables. :)

Looks great. The only suggestion I can think of is that gnolls, being a warlike, predatory species, would probably (to me, at least) have a palisade around their village to ward off raids. Even if it's something as simple as a ditch and stakes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Or a palisade of their dead opponents - also seconds as an easy butcher shop.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

@Barliman: I've been thinking about different kinds of barriers around the village. As gnolls are lazy and opportunistic, I'd probably make it something simple, like a spiked trench, since being canids, digging would be a lot easier and come more naturally than constructing walls or other barriers (just look at those sloppy buildings! LOL!). Its also not meant to be a permanent community.

@Quenten: I think they'd probably pretty much eat all of their dead opponents pretty quickly (and then work on any captives they took!). Heads and skulls, however...
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2018 edited

Thought a spiked dry moat might work. Not sure if I like it or not. Spikes don't stand out at this scale but they are in there... Thought about adding water to the pit but where would it come from? Landscape looks too dry even for an underground spring close enough to the surface to fill a ten-foot-deep pit.
      Gnoll Outpost2.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2018

I actually like this better. I looks great
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Yes, this looks good. Maybe lose the spikes though - since what is it they're really adding if you can't see them? After all, a 10-foot sheer drop should deter most humanoids below larger giant sizes on its own, particularly with gnolls chucking sharp pointy things at you as well!
    • CommentAuthorScottA

The trench makes a good place for them to chuck all their bones and trash, too! Buncha furry hooligans!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2018

That's one half of a stone age hill fort. The other part is the mound of earth rising immediately inside the ditch, possibly topped by a 'fence' of vertical logs.

I also like this version very much more than the first :)
    Nice! :-)