Map Labeling Feedback Request

I would like some feedback on the map labeling and aesthetics in general. With so many talented contributors here I welcome any criticism! :)

Thanks!

Comments

• I really like the font for Winterstone! The runes or dwarven letters on the rest seem to look like they are floating to me...so it distracts the eye. Your labeling on the map seem a bit large and I would turn the glow range down a bit, personally. I do like this map though....but, i would also try to scale that ocean fill up some to get rid of the repeating pattern.
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    Nice map :-) I would decrease the size of the text, rather "in your face." Covers up to much of the good stuff.
  • It looks really nice, but the style to purpose seems to be mixed. For instance, usually seas/oceans are all in the same style (font and size), but when I look at "Shattered Sea" and "Winter Deep" they are drastically different, yet both appear to be large enough to share the same style (and that they appear to be similar geographic area types).

Now, that's an old map making "rule" so you don't have to follow it. But something close helps people tell the difference between political names, geographic regions, cities, etc.

Now, take the suggest for all you paid for it :)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Its a nice map :)

Instead of making the labels different sizes (which has the presumably undesirable effect of making some regions look more important than others just by the sheer size of the labels), how about making them all a standard size and adding discrete borders to show the extent of each part?

Also, the labels are very straight and rigid. How about curving those which are not horizontal to fit the shape of the regions they are naming a little better?
  • Great feedback! I can see all your points and they are well taken. I will send an update with some changes suggested.

Thanks!!
  • I dislike the orientation of all the labels.
    Seems a little disheveled.

Otherwise it looks great.