Lighting and sheets, edge

So I've started experimenting with lighting and noticed when I switched the sheet preset to "Dungeons of Schely Lighted" something strange happened with my terrain that uses Edge Fade, Inner (Outside layer in sheets)

https://i.imgur.com/1zxBLa3.png

Here is the map before I started tweaking it with this...

https://i.imgur.com/kP345eF.png

It's all gone (see areas pointed to) and a green cloud (like it's got some weird effect set). I didn't tweak the "Outside" sheet layer and it looks like that.
3 units, 100% opacity, Map Units and High Quality selected.

That map previously had nicely smooth edges that melted into the others really well. IS there a way to fix this? What caused it?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Switching the effects preset will replace all the current effects in the with the ones from the preset. Unless you saved your original settings, there is no way to go back to them without defining the effects again. If you were using the default effects, you should be able to get back to those by selecting the appropriate effects preset for your map (Whatever the value was before you switched the preset), but any personalization will be lost.
  • So when you say "go back to the preset" I was using the "Dungeons of Schely". Not custom. The thing is the settings I mentioned for the edge fade, inner. Is the same as it was for Outside sheet layer but the appearance is not.

Is there a reason why the lighted preset changes the edge fading?
  • edited March 2018
    I went ahead and recreated the map and did not apply the "lighted" preset. Is there a way to make sure using the lighted present wont futz with the fade effect?
    Not directly, as switching preset will always wipe all the effects in the current map and replace them with those from the preset, you'll just have to tweak the new settings to get what you want. In the concrete case of the Edge Fade, Inner on the outside sheet, I see that one of the presets have the size defined in Map units, while the other uses percent of view width, which accounts for why it behaves differently. I suspect that particular bit wasn't intentional though.
  • Hum, ok. I fiddled with the edge fade options for a good bit trying to get it to work in the lighted preset but was unable to. Is it because of the "darkness" that is applied? Is there a way to manually apply the darkness? I'm guessing it's just putting a layer/sheet that has some effect I'm not familiar with.

I'll setup a test map and see if I can locate what layer/sheet is the "darkness" layer.
    edited March 2018
    The "Darkness" applied is calculated from how lights interact with entities on sheets with the Wall Shadow, Point Light setup effect (entities on sheets with this effect block light), and the result of this is then basically applied to the sheet with the Wall Shadow, Point Light Finalize effect, affecting that sheet and every sheet before in in the drawing order.

It seems like the shadows may interfere with an Edge Fade, Inner effect on the same sheet as the point light finalize, so you may wish to put that on a separate sheet.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited March 2018
    I recommend putting the finalize operation on a sheet by itself, with no other effects on that sheet (you'll need to make sure that there's some entity on that sheet to allow it to be saved into the file, though). The reason has to do with subtleties in how the post-processing lighting effects work compared to regular filters. The way that the point lighting system works is that it uses the "setup" effects to construct a height image for all of the sheets where it appears. The "finalize" effect, in contrast, takes that height image and computes what's visible from the position of the lights. The "finalize" effect isn't particular careful about what it does with the results of other effects on the same sheet.