Textures: Cobbles

These are 2 sample textures of the 20 I've just made for use in CC3 battle maps, on the theme of 'cobbles'. They are each 1024 pi square png files intended to cover an area approximately 5' square when used in a map.

[Image_10499]

[Image_10500]

There are 20 in all - 4 textures in 5 different colours already uploaded to my Guild album here if you are interested:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?albumid=5130

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I hope they work ok with at least a few of the built in/third party styles.

If I'm slightly off the mark with the colours/patterns/size of things just let me know?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Nice ones. We really should put together a Sue's excellent stuff community pack soon with a proper CC3+ setup, and not just loose images.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Posted By: MonsenNice ones. We really should put together a Sue's excellent stuff community pack soon with a proper CC3+ setup, and not just loose images.
    Yes, please.
    Oh thank you all :)

Remy - a community pack of fills would certainly help to keep everything in order so that they were in the same place relative to all the other built in and third party fills ;) (It might also encourage ME to be a little less haphazard about naming and categorising them myself :P)
    edited March 2018
    Posted By: JMunsonII+1 Monsen!
    I am unsure about this. With one extra Monsen aboard, I guess I would only need to do half the work, but could you guys really deal with one more of me? ;-)
    LOL!

Just as long as you don't end up fighting each other about who gets to solve the next problem :P
    We could even do a larger community pack if more people want to put in stuff though. I know ahawk1972 have posted some buildings lately, and maybe others want to contribute too. So far we have been fortunate to have these free resources that originally came from other communities, maybe we can create something here that can be shared with others in return? I'm not an artist myself, but I can certainly do project administration and hosting.
    I think its a brilliant idea, Remy - as long as you don't mind doing the admin side of things to keep it all organised in a sensible fashion. That might involve renaming fills and objects to fit with the bigger scheme of things.

Or however seems best to you really :)
  • Great idea!

I think we should also find a way to make a +1 Monsen. The original one is going to need a break if he keeps catering to our need for project organization. ;)
  • Posted By: MonsenNice ones. We really should put together a Sue's excellent stuff community pack soon with a proper CC3+ setup, and not just loose images.
    A great idea !
  • Josh.P.Josh.P. Traveler
    Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to package custom symbols for distribution with a map?

Or a tutorial on how to package custom symbols just for distribution.

We could build upon the current available symbol packs.
    edited March 2018
    Josh - there's the Joe Sweeney video about how to make your own symbol catalogue, if that would help?

As for anything more complicated than that, I've never distributed a set of symbols so I can't really help you there. It was Monsen who sorted out all the Atlas city mapping stuff I did.

I've done a couple of other things, but I'm not sure where to put them for now. I'd like to know if you think they are any good first:

[Image_10502]

This is a ring symbol that could be used around things like a hole in the floor, or with bars as a prison cell skylight through which you can see glimpses of the floor below, or as the edge of a pond or flower border. I've also made ready made ponds:

[Image_10503]

[Image_10504]

[Image_10505]

I'm afraid they are all a bit samey right now, but I'm hoping the things I make can be mixed with other styles :)
  • Loopysue what did you use to bend your texture to a curve?
    edited March 2018
    That would be the 'centrepiece' pattern from Genetica's pattern filters :)

This is the pattern and its set up:

[Image_10511]

And this is the cutting operation:

[Image_10512]

I was a bit tired last night, so I didn't think about it properly or I would have cut the excess pattern away in GIMP with a couple of masks. However, having done it once the hard way in Genetica I've now got the template to do as many as I want in the future. Ring patterns seem to be extremely useful. There are lots of them in the various collections we have. I will do a version with bars, and one with the centre left in. In fact I've done that last one already:

[Image_10513]
    While we are still only at the discussion stage about Remy possibly setting up a community art collection of some kind (he's a brave man for taking it on if he does!), I will continue to add any new fills to my Guild album where they won't clog up the forum. That means they will be generally shared with anyone bothered to go and find them, but I kind of like that idea ;)

Here is the link again so that you don't have to scroll all the way up to find it:

Room 1024 - png textures for CC3
  • These are so wonderful, Sue! I'm using them today while playing around.....i've got to take a benefit day today as we had a near spring, wet and heavy snowstorm here yesterday eve and my old building i work in has no heat. Well, FINALLY working for non-for-profit pays off with old, rickety buildings we work in! haha. i'll post something later to show off your work!
    edited March 2018
    That's very kind of you - thank you Lorelei :D

*crosses fingers and toes - hoping they will actually work ok with other styles*

I was going to say that all this stuff needs a proper field testing :P

Please let me know if any of it could do with a bit of serious tweaking/re-making?

EDIT: I've started a new album for all the bits and bobs to keep the symbols and fills separate. Its private at the moment so I don't go and get up too many noses by flooding the Activity Stream with images (I wish there was an option to switch that off if you just want to get on with something without bothering people!). Right now I'm probably annoying anyone who happens to be my friend anyway, since friends can see private albums, though they must be logged on. I've decided to limit the number uploaded per day to 10, so that I don't go and really annoy Robbie, the Admins, and the CLs, who will all be able to see them anyway!

When its safe to do so (ie, when they will no longer disrupt the Activity Stream front page) I will turn the album public so that everyone can get to it.

Sorry for the delay everyone!

https://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?albumid=5231
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Very cool stuff, thank you for sharing these! :)
    Aw, thank you Ralf :D

*blush*
    edited March 2018
    Here's another circular variation.

[Image_10514]
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    edited March 2018
    Oh! I REALLY like this new grate symbol... it's great! (urhg... sorry!).

...oh, is it not up on your symbol page? Just went and looked.
    edited March 2018
    Oh groan! LOL!

Not yet they aren't. I can see the previous batch have now disappeared off the bottom of the Activity Stream page, so I can upload some more. I'd taken my eye off the situation because I was learning how to make and render crystals from an enormously long and rather complicated tut on YouTube. Hope to have some of them to share soon... when I figure out this darned Cycles Render engine thingummy!

EDIT: Ok, this is the status quo.

The album is still private because I have just uploaded another 10 images, and keeping it private is a way to prevent the majority of people scowling at me for hogging the Activity Stream (a major page at the Guild). When enough activity has put them off the bottom of the page again I will turn the album public and let everyone know its there.

Of course, if we are going to go ahead and do this community collection then all the symbols may well end up being renamed and put in set folders and so on, so at that point you might have to delete the ones you downloaded from my albums and use the community versions instead to avoid complications.
  • That is one expensive piece of software!
    It wasn't so bad when I bought it on 60% offer about a year and a half ago.

I only have the Basic version, but I do wish I'd lashed out and got the next one up, which at the time was only £120 I think. I was still working back then - hadn't lost my job at that point ;)

I thought, from looking at some of your textures, you also had Genetica. How do you make yours, then?
  • kathoruskathorus Traveler
    Wow, those are awesome. Thanks for sharing.
  • edited March 2018
    Loopysue commented:Ring patterns seem to be extremely useful. There are lots of them in the various collections we have. I will do a version with bars, and one with the centre left in. In fact I've done that last one already...
    I can see that one ending up on a temple floor somewhere, with gem-set stars carved into its surface thanks to that handy grid pattern ;D