Mike Schley Continental Map WIP

Hello all!

I am looking for opinions on improving this work in progress. It originally comes from a Fractal Terrains generated map. I know some of the things I think it needs but I wanted to hear from the community. You guys always have good advice for my maps. Thanks!

Comments

• I know it is pixelated in some areas. I had to shrink it down a lot to get it to post. That pixilation is not in the jpgs I have that I resized in gimp down to 2mb or less.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    That's a pretty good map to work with, Kevbeck :)

I think I will concentrate on the mountain and hill arrangement for now.

I'm some places you have arranged them so that the mountains rise directly from the hills, which looks good. In others, though, there is a sort of gap - a no-mans' land of nothing separating them with a noticeable lack of something - a dip. If you have the mountains and hills on different sheets this should be quite easy to sort out, because all you need to do is fill in underneath the mountains with hills. If you have them both on the same sheet, though, things could be a bit more fiddly. If you paste hill symbols in to fill the gaps and then use Symbols/Sort Symbols In Map on the whole lot of them it should work out ok :)
  • 13 days later
  • Thanks for your advice Loopysue. I went back and made some changes as a result.
  • Another thing about mountain ranges - they are nearly always steep on one side (ie narrow strip of hills) and gentle slope on the other (wider strip of hills). I agree with Sue, but I prefer to use Sort Symbols as in my experience this works best.