Extracting Regional Maps

I have a bit of a dilemma, one which I'm sure has arisen before, although I haven't had much luck trying to do a forum search mainly because I'm not sure how to word the search correctly. Anyway...

I have a map I created, a rather large one showing several continents. Being relatively new to things, I made the mistake of adding way too much detail to each of the continents. What I should have done is create the base overview map with a lower level of detail and then link each continent or certain areas to more detailed maps. I love the map, it exceeded my expectations, but it's a resource monster that bogs down my system; it's likely on the verge of simply being too much for CC to handle.

What I want to now do is create some detail maps from this main map and then rework the main map to have less detail and instead provide the links to the detail maps. So my question: how can I cut or create separate maps using portions of the main map? I've done a little research and it seems the process can be somewhat involved based on what I've seen. Can anyone outline this process in simple form or offer a link to a forum post that does so? Again, my apologies if this is a repeat question.

Comments

• Just do a search on here for 'large maps to small' and you will find several discussions on how to do this.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You can find the basic instructions in the manual in the 'Editing with drawing tools' chapter, and mostly in the trace sub-section (it covers a bit more than just tracing). There is also a much more detailed tutorial in the tome if you have that.

The basics of the process is basically just starting a new map in the desired size, using a clipboard copy to copy everything from a region on you map to the new blank one, and then use the various trim tools (like break, split, trim and node edit) to trim away the parts now extending beyond your new map border.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    I'm actually creating a multi-part video tutorial on this topic but I was delayed the last few months by Real Life™. With luck, I'll be able to upload at least part of the tutorial this weekend. It may not help you now, I know, but I wanted to let you know it was coming.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Thanks for the info Monsen. I think I have it all figured out now after following your direction, much appreciated.

Dogtag, I'd still be interested in viewing the videos and comparing things when you have them available!