Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2018

Tinkering around early this morning...I'm primarily using the Alyssa Faden's City Streets Annual style from Issue Sept 2016 and the usual free CSUAC, Bogies, and Dundjinni Archives - and also Sue's fantastic Atlas Trees she has so kindly provided us.
      Al-Sanadin East Market.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

A little more progress for the day....
      Al-Sanadin East Market2.PNG
    • CommentAuthorGThiel

looks good!!! tho in this case perhaps the border is over kill?? Or is this intended to be a walled market?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2018 edited

Beautiful. I agree with GThiel, though, the border could be mistaken for a wall. It's gorgeous and fitting for the tone of the map, but it does feel like part of the map rather than a border.

The layout, as usual, is nicely thought-out. I can easily imagine my PC going from stall to stall trying to find the missing piece to Amulet of Sarif ibn Alz, chasing a thief through the throng, or fighting members of the Akhwan Mhkem by the fountain. And that's my own personal litmus for mappy-goodness.

It seems a little weird, though, seeing western-style roofs in a presumably middle-eastern setting. It's a fleeting feeling, given the general beauty of the map and the wonderful colors, but I do notice it. And, Shadow Police alert: the 3rd-party tent symbol in the upper right is casting a shadow on the ground at 5 o'clock but the dome of the tent is shaded at 12 o'clock.

I really like the cobble in the square, it really fits the character of the city. And the sphinxes (?) at the south entrance to the market are a nice touch. :D

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Thank you!

No, the border is just for asthetics....and to separate the map and my intended key on the bottom after i number/label some landmarks
    • CommentAuthorScottA

I actually like the tile border but don't care for the cobble fill in the market square because of the obvious repetition in the pattern. But that's just me...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

I also forgot to mention how awesome the map title looks. It's subtle and easy to miss (or, more accurately, to just take for granted), but it really looks great.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Thanks all. I'm not particularly thrilled with the cobbles, either, but increased the size of the fill for less repetition. They are rather large stones, but it's better, i think. Added more buildings in the background and labels. I'm done for today. I'll make any final changes sometime this week before sending in to Remy
      Al-Sanadin Eastern Bazaar.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh I missed this one (been a bit busy doing a map for a friend)

Very beautiful :)

Now you've got me all 'into' doing some more cobble fills...

Distractions... distractions... :P
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Oh sheesh. Sue i completely forgot about your FILLS! Here's a version with your cobblestone....
      Al-Sanadin Eastern Bazaar2.PNG
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Gorgeously exotic!

Scale maybe? And the building shadows vanishing off the right edge look a little odd now. Plus we've lost half the final "r" in the title's "Bazaar" presently.

I might be inclined to lose the map frame altogether as well; seems a bit too claustrophobic now to me.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I don't really know if I prefer those or the other cobbles. They were meant for city maps, where the scale is a bit smaller. That's why they are all the same colour.

I think I need to do some that are more battle-map scale with a bit more interest in them....

I wonder if Remy would accept a couple more fills into the Atlas folder?
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

You're right, Sue. But i think for the streets here it works. i've replaced the fill in the bazaar and the fill on the frame to make it less busy
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I DEFINITELY prefer the brick/stone fill to the cobble fill - also far more comfortable to walk on esp in sandals. But the map is great. Another thing - where are the slaves in the slave market - CSUAC and Dundjinni provide plenty of figures.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

A little bit of both...
      Al-Sanadin Eastern Bazaar3.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Looks wonderful. I like the new frame, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Spot on, but still no languishing slave women and sadistic slave owners.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Maybe the slaves are hunky males, and this is a matriarchal society :P
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Ahh....Quenten, I don't add figures to the maps if i can help it, as this is actually a 400x400 battle map :) Placing a figure on the map would make it so that figure could not move from that spot, despite what may be happening in the market (ie a Blue Dragon swoops down on the city...and everyone runs causing a mad panic....make a Dexterity check to see if you can keep up with the running crowd or get trampled :) )
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Really like the cobbles now slightly larger. That really works and the repetition isn't as obvious. Very nice!.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2018

Lorelei - I know you can't use this in an Atlas map unless Remy wants to add it to the library of Atlas fills, but I did a similar...ish cobble/brick fill that has more bricks per swatch as a bit of stress therapy this evening. Its very basic, but more complicated would be distracting I think.

This is your thread, so I've uploaded it at the Guild in my Room 1024 album here:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?albumid=5130&attachmentid=105194
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2018

This is looking really good now.

With the cobbles, a repetitive pattern would work, as such open spaces were, and still are, often deliberately paved to have a patterning of some kind. If so, that might work better with a sharp break around the edges exactly along the pattern lines. Irritatingly though, a circular pattern centred on the well might be the preferred option in a real-world setting - maybe try those paler cobbles in a circle covering the Tent Bazaar's area instead, with the squared cobble patterning beyond?

And one tiny niggle. I have the impression the blue Alsharqia Oasis well-head is fractionally off-centre to its surrounding pair of circular steps. That may be just me though, being fooled by the shadow effect on what seems the "shorter" side of the well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2018

Another great map for the atlas. Thanks Lorelei.

Al-Sanadin Market