FT3 Climate Color Mapping

I just spent a few hours trying to find a pleasing color scheme for the climate view that reflected what the colors would actually be (i.e. if looking on the world from orbit, various shades of greens for forests, a little yellow added in for savannah's etc. No matter what I did, I couldn't come up with anything that looked right (being limited to the color picker options really didn't help matters any either). Then to add insult to injury, what I finally worked out didn't get saved properly, so I ended up back on the default scheme.

Now to the question, has anyone worked out a color scheme for the environment that is good that they would share? I'm not going through the process of redoing it on my own now that the save is lost (especially since I wasn't overly happy with it anyway).

Thanks

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Have you tried the ones in the Terraformer package (downloadable from your registration page)?

Also, for the save issue. FT3 doesn't normally need admin permissions to run, but unfortunately it needs such to write to the installation directory if you installed it inside one of the program files directories (which is the default installation directory). You can work around this by right clicking the ft icon and choosing run as administrator when you wish to modify settings that are stored in the program directory (color profiles and export settings, among others)
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 2018
    I found it easier to deal with Windows permissions by installing Fractal Terrains in C:\FT3\ I then have a folder under there for my Traveller worlds, and one for worlds where I take parts of maps and use them as guides for islands in CC3/CC3Plus for Crestar.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Posted By: sauron11(being limited to the color picker options really didn't help matters any either)
    Holding down the Shift key when clicking on the color swatches might offer some additional options, depending on where you are in the program.
  • Hadn't looked at terraformer, there is one there that is a lot better than the defaults. shift clicking does nothing in this part of the app. I've now got it set to run as admin. Thanks all.