How to Make a DIN A4 Battlemap with DD3

Hello Forum I'm still relatively new to using CC3 / DD3 I've already understood a few basic things, but now a basic question has arisen. I want to create a new battlemap and I would like to create it in DIN A4 format.
what is the easiest way? Can I switch from inch to cm somewhere in the default setting? I find the whole inch-setting very confusing in addition to the complex usage ;-) if u like u can answer in german, makes it easier for me ;-)
other wise english will do it ;-) Thnx alot for helping me out.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2018
    The format of the paper don't really affect the units used in the map. If your game uses metric units, then you should start the map on one of the metric templates (which means map size will be in meters, and you shouldn't need to deal with inches at all), or if it uses imperial units, use the non-metric version (which creates a map in feet) regardless if you intend to print it on A4 or Letter paper or anything else.

To determine the correct size of your map, you need to know three things:
    - The size of your paper
    - The size of each grid square (as this varies between systems)
    - The size of miniatures you are going to use. The most common miniatures are made to fit on a 1-inch grid (or 250 mm to use the round metric value)

So, an A4 sheet of paper, being 210 by 297 mm can accommodate 8 by 11 squares (With rather tiny margins on the sides). Then, just multiply the number of squares with grid size, and you get the map size. For example, if the game uses 2m squares, the map should be made as a 16 by 22 metric map, or if the system uses 5' squares, it should be made as a 40 by 55 non-metric map.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited February 2018
    Hello Telnango :)

As long as you create the map with the correct proportions... for example, if DIN A4 is 297mm x 210mm, (which is a ratio of 1.414) create a map that has the same ratio of length to width in map units.

(if you intend to print the map out on paper and need to have a printer margin around it that is the same size all the way around then adjust the 297 and 210 by subtracting twice the width of the margin from both those numbers before you recalculate the ratio. For example if I want a 5mm margin I would recalculate the ratio to be 287 divided by 200, giving me 1.435)

As long as the ratio is correct you can create your new map as large as you like in map units, and simply reduce it when you export it in jpg format for use.

For example: if I chose a short side length of 2000 map units, multiply that by 1.435 (to get my 5mm margin), and have a long side of 2870 map units.

I hope that helps - sorry its not in German :)

EDIT: If I was in your position, I would ignore these instructions and use Monsen's ;)
  • well thnk you a lot for explaining me ;-) i will try it very soon thanx