Default Symbol Size

I have been playing with the Fill With Symbols command. I know that as part of that command that if you want the symbols placed to be a different scale, you need to set the default symbol scale using the Drawing Properties dialog. However, when I do that, my symbols are still being output at 1/1 regardless of the value set in the Drawing Properties dialog (I've tried 1/5, 2, etc.) This occurs whether I'm using the Fill With Symbols command or if I'm placing symbols individually.

What am I missing? How do I set my default symbol size values since it doesn't seem to be working in the Drawing Properties dialog?

Comments

• Before you place a symbol, but after picking it up from the list to the left, right click.

In that dialogue you can set symbol scale.

Clicking set normal, will show you what scale the program thinks will work.

In the 'X and Y' part you can change it. Click on More, then you will see the symbol, before placig, what size that will be on the map.

If its still to big or too small, right click again, and change the X and Y size, and try again.

Most of the time you can quickly see what iwll look good and what wont.
  • Thank you for your input. However, I am already aware of how to scale symbols when placing them individually, by right clicking and adjusting things in the ensuing dialog. I'm trying to set the default symbol size when using the Fill With Symbols command. When I set my default symbol size to 2, for example, using the Drawing Properties dialog, and then use the Fill With Symbols command, it still places them at the 1/1 scale and not 2/2 as I had set it. That's where I'm confused and not understanding why it's not working. Does that make sense?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2018
    Not sure why you are not seeing the desired effect. I've attached a screenshot from my settings below, where you can also clearly see that the symbols were placed at different scales based on the different default symbol scale. Maybe the image of my settings may help you find something amiss in your own. After closing the dialog, it can also be helpfull just to immediately reopen it again and just double check that the setting was set properly.

As for placing symbols manually, remember that CC3+ remembers the last scale used when placing symbols, so even if you change the default symbol scale, it won't immediately effect placing symbols manually, you first need to tell it to go back to default, for example by right clicking in the drawing with a symbol on the cursor, and clicking the 'Set Normal' button. (It will also use the new default the next time you open the map (assuming you saved it with the updated scale). This has no bearing on the Fill with Symbols command however, it will use the updated scale automatically, and doesn't care about the current manual placing scale.
  • My apologies for not understanding.
  • Things look right. Just to provide further info, I'm using the Parchment Maps style from the Cartographers Annual and using the vegetation symbol set from it as well. I've tried setting the default symbol size in the Drawing Properties dialog, closed it, and reopened it to check. The setting sticks as it should.

I then just draw a random polygon (doesn't have to be done using a drawing tool does it?), for testing purposes and use the Fill With Symbols command. Regardless of everything appearing to be set correctly, the tree symbols are all at the 1/1 scale.
    hmm. Seems to be an issue with those particular symbols. I can reproduce the problem when I use those symbols. I am not sure why that might be though.
  • I didn't get around to checking if it was related to just those symbols or not, but thanks for doing so and letting me know. I'll have to see if I can work around the issue.
    Those symbols are pretty poor for the regular placement the Fill With symbols does anyway. You may have better luck with the symbols in area command instead.
  • Thank you, I will try Symbols in Area instead. Thanks for the feedback and information, much appreciated!