Change House Layer

Hi All,
I've just got started last week with CC3+ and city designer. I understand there's a bit of a learning curve and have been taking my time, watching some videos and working through some tutorials. So far I've not had any trouble using the software and have been very pleased with some of the small maps I've produced.

One thing with city designer really has me puzzled though, I've tried my best to work it out but with no luck and that's the change house layer command. I select change house layer from the city menu, click on the edge of a building I want to change and right click do it, it's the next step I'm unsure of.
The command prompt says New layer (dialog) and I've been either clicking on the layer window at the top or right clicking the building to bring up the layer dialogue. I then select the new layer by ticking it then press apply and ok, after this all the buildings on the map have changed to the new layer,not just the selected one.

Also when I select show by colour they all just display the initial building layer colour (usually green BLDNG (House 1) and never seems to change colour no matter what layer I put them on. I get the feeling I'm missing something obvious,what am I doing wrong?

Any assistance greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• House symbols are on multiple layers. Only vari-color. symbols change color without modifying them.
  • Thanks for the reply though I'm still confused.

I thought the reason there was a special "change house layer" command was because they are on multiple layers, in the manual it seems to suggest that you can place buildings on different layers and assign them different colours, for the purposes of demographic representation,this is what I'm having problems with. Also the manual doesn't appear to mention "vari-color symbols" is there a way to identify which symbols are vari-color. Sorry if I'm being thick and asking obvious questions but I just can't get my head round it.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Hi Gary.P. Welcome to CC3+ and the ProFantasy forum!

That sounds like an odd problem, all right. Any chance you can post the FCW (map file) so someone might have a look and try to replicate the issue? Or, Monsen might wander by with an answer off the top of his head, but in case he doesn't, it might help if you can upload the map.

Also, varicolor symbols have a small swatch of color in the corner of their preview in the symbol catalog. However, I think house symbols buck the trend that JimP mentioned, precisely because of the multiple layers and change layer command you're working with.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Hi there, thanks for your reply. TBH the problem can be quickly replicated on any CD 3 map. Open a new file choose a simple template (say the 500x400 used in the CD 3 essentials tutorial). Throw down any combination of houses and/or symbols that you like then use the "change house layer" command from the city menu.

As I understand it, this should enable you to add different buildings to different layers grouped by demographic colour but I just can't get it to work. I'm pretty sure I'm messing up when selecting the new layer i.e when the command prompt is asking for "New layer (dialog). I'm just not sure what I should be clicking at that point.
    edited February 2018
    D'oh!

As soon as I wrote my reply I remembered something. Did you set up the layers in the Color Buildings dialog? You open it by clicking the Color Layers [CC3 Button Image] button on the left. Once you set up the layers you want, you need to click the Change now button in the dialog box.

THEN... if you change building layers using the City>Change house layer menu option, you need to open up the Color Buildings dialog again. The colors will only change after you do that and click Change now. Changing the building/house layer doesn't change the color by itself.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • If you see a small square in the upper right of a symbol, change the active color by going to the color selector at the top of the program.

After you change to a different color, and that small square changes color, that is a variable color symbol.

I'm a bit out of date, so DogTag likely has the better answer.
    And, don't forget to select City>Layers>All BLDNGS with color from the menu (or type SC and press Enter) to see the building colors, and to go back to normal buildings, select City>Layers>All BLDNGS with shading (or type SB and press Enter).
  • edited February 2018
    Wow Dogtag! Thanks that did the trick :) I've been almost banging my head on the desk. Worked perfectly, just changed the layer then updated the color, brilliant, thanks once again, very much appreciated :D

And thanks to you both for the guidance on vari-color, very handy to know, cheers.
    You're welcome. Sorry for my earlier brain fart.

Happy mapping!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag