My First Map! The Tomb of Quinn Roche

I'm finally ready to post my first finished battle map. I got CC3+ and all the lovely add-ons about a month ago, and I've been playing around with them and figuring them out. Tooks me a bit of time, because I come from a Photoshop background and this is vastly different than that, but I think I"m getting the hang of it now.

So this is the first map that I've actually finished and used in a game. It's a little rough, obviously, because I'm still new and I had to rush to get it ready before the session, but the players loved it and that put a nice big smile on my face. The map is "The Tomb of Quinn Roche". I'm running a Curse of Strahd campaign and have been incorporating all of the other Ravenloft lore from past editions (holy cow there's so much of it!!). Quinn Roche is just barely mentioned in the 2nd edition book "Van Richten's Guide to the Ancient Dead" as being a wealthy noble who collected many exquisite suits of armor and was buried with them in his tomb, which is located in Vallaki. He's also said to have risen from the dead on numerous occasions, usually to hunt after more rare armors. So, I built a mummy's tomb with a bunch of armor that came to life!

I'd love to get some feedback so I can get better with my next map!

Comments

• Great map! You've done a fantastic job for a first map!
  • Looks great! And welcome!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited February 2018
    Seriously! I see you mastered the wall mask (aka floor mask) concept nicely, and you've even got the stair shadow trick down!

The next thing you might play with is using different sheets for symbols of different heights. For example, using SYMBOLS LOW, SYMBOLS MEDIUM, and SYMBOLS TALL sheets where you can tweak the length of the Wall Shadow effect on each. That will result in different shadow lengths for symbols, which helps the illusion of how tall they are relative to each other. For example, the columns would throw longer shadows than the armor, which would throw longer shadows than the sarcophagi. Depending on the different symbols you use, you can have any number of such sheets. I usually find three is sufficient, though (along with a WALLS sheet and a SYMBOLS FLAT sheet, which has no shadow). And I usually put columns on the WALLS sheet, but that depends on whether I need other specific effects for my columns.

The colors and textures/fills you chose work very well together. You have a good eye. I especially like the dirt background and the floor fill.

Welcome to CC3+ and the ProFantasy forum, MalachiDraven! I look forward to seeing more of your maps.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag