Trying to use distance lines in sector map.

I'm trying to map a sector of galaxy using the sector map. I can measure the distance, but I can't get the software to draw and label the distance between two points. In my universe, direct routes between two systems rarely occur in a straight line. Therefore, there have to be waypoints where the pilot would need to recalculate the next "hop". But when I select the Draw Distance Line tool, it asks me to select the height symbol. I'm using a 2D map, so no matter what I select, a line is never drawn. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The Draw distance tool is only for 3D maps utilizing height symbols. For non-height symbols, calculating distance is impossible because CC3+ won't know the relative Z-distance between the stars, only the X and Y distance (and your universe is probably not flat even if you are making a 2D-map). If you need the distance between 2 stars, you can check it with Info -> Distance, and make a distance line manually, but again, this tool only measured in the XY-plane, so while it is correct for map distance on a flat map, it won't really match the actual distance between those two stars (unless they are on the same Z-coordinate). For a 2D-map, it will be more correct for you to determine the appropriate distance yourself, and not rely on flat measurements.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited February 2018
    This is a pain. On my Traveller site is a large star cluster, I made a '3D' area by color code. Vespucian Arm, Column G, Sector 6.

I used colors for each layer with is a set distance apart. That doesn't give me the diagonal distances between layers, but its the closest I can come to a 3D sector map.

Here is what the map looks like, shrunk to 70% of the original 1200 pixel wide png.

Note that for some reason the image maps on that site give me wrong links, I'm not sure what happened as they did work. The menus at the top of my site are a much better way to navigate.
  • Thank you! I'm just using the distance measurement. It works for what I need and my map is almost done! It won't be for public consumption so this is going to work fine.