New User, Confused and Frustrated

I am having serious problems with understanding and using CC3+. I want to build a Fantasy-Style map of the world I have created in my mind for the Shattered Empire, a world I have created in my mind for the novel I have written. I want to create the map in the style that looks like an 8 laying on its side, as well as the more typical square styles.

I have cognitive impairments due to a seizure I suffered a number of years ago, which makes the details difficult to understand and remember.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2018
    In general though, CC3+, while being quite a flexible and powerful program, can also be a bit unintuitive for some. My best advice is always to work through tutorials to get a good grasp of the various techniques before starting your own maps. Many of the chapter in the user manual is laid out in a tutorial fashion, and I recommend you work through the tutorials in the manual to get training with the various aspects of CC3+. There are also video tutorials available.

It is very difficult to give advice out beyond this since you didn't really ask any questions or state what parts of your mapping you have problems with. If you have trouble getting started at all, then starting with the tutorials in the manual is probably the best. CC3+ is a rather technical program, and the best way to learn it is to work with it. And don't hesitate to ask questions when you need help.
  • Agree with Monsen. The tutorials are well written, and at least when I finished each one I was impressed with how good my map looked. Also, when you do start on your own map and have questions, it always helps when you can post images or the problem area or the example style you want things to look like.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Keep at it, Scalkum. I have Asperger's Syndrome, which is a form of autism. Its different in every person, but for me it means I learn really fast... ONLY when one of two things happen.

If there is a video to watch, I watch it again, and again, and again till I've finally 'got it' and can mouth the words of the narrator like I'm following a song.

If I allow myself to play without having any actual target result in mind, so that I can be happy with the result no matter what it might be. If I make a mistake that turns out to have an unexpected but desirable effect (1 in 100 times it does), then I remember it. But with this method it means you have to do a LOT of experimenting and make a LOT of mistakes along the way ;)
  • The hardest part about CC3+ is understanding that it is different to everything you have tried before.

It's not overly difficult. But because of the way selection works you do need to learn how to do things which can be frustrating for people who have grown up with imaging programs.

I have been making some videos aimed at new people. They might help:

I also highly recommend Tony Crawfords videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF7ObL1N26fPVnW08-aU4AQ

Beyond that. Install the Free Annual Sampler using the link below.

https://www.profantasy.com/products/subsamples.asp

Once installed browse to the ProFantasy Annual folder.

C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus\Annual

Check the various sub-folders that should be there and inside you will find a PDF. The PDF's are tutorials that teach you how to use the styles that come with the annuals you installed. This can be super educational as the lessons you learn from one style generally flow over to how to use the tool in general.

It is a big tool. But there's an active community both here and on Facebook, so if you need help please do ask. We are all here to help each other improve as cartographers.

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1830466227284189/
  • I had to unlearn MS Paint to learn CC2, now I'm using Cc3Plus and making better maps than I did with a paint program. I noticed folks haven't mentioned yet that Campaign Cartographer uses a CAD engine. Computer Aided Design.
  • Yes, forgetting anything you know about graphics programs is step one to mastering CC3+! That and a lot of patience and practice. It will seem daunting and impossible at first, but if you work at it you will get it. I try to learn one command at a time and then move on to one I don't know yet, that way I'm not overloaded or confused.
  • Thank you all for your feedback. I will follow your suggestions.