Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorgoldgrae
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009 edited

Despite having bought the program several months ago, this is my first foray into actually using the damn thing. I'm quite pleased, and I feel like I'm over the first big hump of the learning curve.

It will certainly be good enough for my players, anyway!
      arrowayhandout.JPG
    • CommentAuthorJoeyD473
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009

This is an awsome map
    • CommentAuthorwarhound
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009 edited

I like the whole "sepia" (I think that's it) look which gives it an old,worn map feel. Very nice!
    • CommentAuthorJoeyD473
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009

Did you do all the coloring in CC3 or did you post-edit in another program for that coloring in the map?
    • CommentAuthorgoldgrae
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2009

Yep, this is sepia. One of the pre-set RBG matrix sheet effects in CC3. All of the work was done in CC3. It does not look nearly as good in full color, although that may be because I find the basic symbols and colors a little bit cartoonish by themselves.

I've also printed it out on cardstock and thoroughly aged the paper (coffee staining (also causes ink disruption, so only spots or streaks), burn marks and holes, tears, random writing by previous owners, etc.), so that really adds to the old feeling.

I've also added some additional text labels to the upper and lower portions of the other islands shown, as well as an enhancement of the visibility of roads, but the changes aren't significant enough to bother showing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMagnakanus

The Map is great, sepia is real nice when combined with the Coffee stain trick. :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf

Very nice work. I might try using only one font on the whole map though - perhaps the one you used for the title?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Very nice map. I don't feel the basic map border looks much good on a sepia map like this though.
    • CommentAuthorgoldgrae
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009

The title font didn't look especially good at the smaller sizes. It wasn't nearly as legible. But that's a good suggestion... Perhaps I should find a font that would look nice at both sizes.

I also agree about the basic map border... but I don't have any others! Do you have any suggestions for where to get them? The only others that I know of are in one of the annuals, and I'm not in a position to purchase them at the moment. On the other hand, the border is mostly destroyed in the printed version, so it wasn't that important.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

You might try with just a single thin black line as a map border. For many maps, this will look quite good.
    • CommentAuthorgoldgrae

That sounds nice. Silly question, but... how do I do that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009 edited

Set line width to a non-zero value, line style to solid, and fill style to solid (brush patterns tab), and the color to black. Both sheet and layer should be set to "Map Border". All this can be set by clicking on the indicators in the status bar at the top.
    Then use the Box [BOX] tool in the rightmost toolbar to draw it (use of the endpoint modifier to precisely position the corners is recommended.)
    • CommentAuthorgoldgrae

Thank you!