Four Big Questions from a DM and CC3+ Noob.

Hello, I'm Oneshot or Brandon, I've three questions please-

First of all, here are the programs I own.I have CC3+,CC3,CHar Artist, City Designer 3 and Dungeon Designer 3.

1) I keep seeing battle maps, Interior of Building Maps, Boats and ships...where and how do I find the capability to create the interior of an Inn within cc3+? I've looked and looked but cna't find the images/textures anywhere.

2) Is it possible through the program to Link multiple maps together to create larger scale maps? For example, could I put 9 maps together ot create one large, 9 vector map? 3x3 in essence.

3) What does "Link to map" do?

4) Are there any resources, other programs, free public stuff etc I should get?

Lastly, if there is like a resource on you tube ETC that I should be looking at, feel free to pretty please point me in the direction :)

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2018
    1) That would be the DD3 Dungeon template. DD3 comes with a lot of artwork both for actual dungeons, and for building floorplans. (Based on what you own. For other resources, SS2 and SS4 are also great to create building interiors with)

2) Depends. If you really want to display 9 maps in a grid in the same view, you need to just copy all of the maps into one map. You can easily insert one map into another with Draw -> Insert File. You can also create clickable hotspots (which is what we normally mean when we talk about linking maps) that you can click on to navigate between maps. There is a link with map button on the toolbar for this.

3) I guess i explained this above. It creates a clickable hotspot in a map to navigate to another map.

4) If you haven't gotten the four large free community addons from the interesting topics sticky yet, those are a good place to start.

For youtube, there are lots of stuff that I don't have the overview over now, but I know Joe Sweeney has a lot of good stuff. There are also some youtube series of videos linked from the official video tutorials page, and you should find some links in the interesting topics sticky too.
  • I suggest getting the Ultimate Tome of Mapping to get you started....it's chock full of knowledge :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited February 2018
    Hi Oneshot. Welcome to CC3+ and the ProFantasy forum!

You also may want to check out the Cartographer's Annual. If you buy a past volume, you get all the issues in that volume (you can't buy individual issues). There's a lot of really good content in the annuals. If nothing else, you may want to grab the free samples that ProFantasy has made available. The Jon Roberts Dungeon issue is part of that bundle, and it's a very nice style for dungeon and floor plan battle maps. It's a Cartographer's Annual issue, so it's more limited than full, built-in styles and symbol sets, but it has some really nice stuff.

Also, in case you don't know, you do not need to install CC3. That is the older version of CC3+ but it's a separate program and installing CC3+ doesn't "upgrade" CC3 — it installs to a different location. CC3 is still available in the downloads because there are a limited number of supplemental programs that don't yet work with CC3+, but everything you listed does, so you don't need to worry about CC3.

Welcome again to the community. Happy mapping!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Thanks so far all. More refined questioning now-

1) When using hte Draw-Insert File, s there a way to put them together without the white borders getting in the way?

2) How do you get exterior/grass etc textured backgrounds int he dungeon maker for buildings? Are the walls and such all done with Line drawings?

3) So Linking to another map is just like a quick tab to pull up another map?

4) Right npw when I try to insert a map I'm getting like a half Inch white border tha cvers map areas, is htere a way to get rid of this?
    edited February 2018
    1) Just erase the white borders. They are there simply to prevent entities near the map border to visually extend beyond it. You can draw new ones later if you need them.

2) When you start a new DD3 dungeon map, there should be quite a few different outdoor fill types available by default. There are also many drawing tools, just right click the default terrain button to see the terrain drawing tools, most of which are suited for outdoor use. Walls can be drawn with lines, or you can use one of the drawing tools. There is a wall tool that always use the current fill, so just set the fill to whatever you need, and then use that one.

3) I am not sure what you mean with quick tab? But it is just a hyperlink, like in a webpage. Place it anywhere in a map, and click it to load the map it points to. Try downloading the community atlas, that uses hyperlinks to provide navigation between maps.

4) See 1)
  • You say Just erase the white borders, but how does one erase them? They aren't delineated in any way I can see.
    They are just normal entities, and can be erased via the erase command in the left toolbars like everything else. They are white against a white background, so if you have trouble clicking on their edge to select them, use a selection window instead. However, if you have problems with them covering up other entities, you should also be able to see the exact edge of them too, where they stop covering things.
    For most map templates, they are also on a sheet called SCREEN, so if you hide everything but this sheet, and then simply erase everything on this sheet, that should also accomplish the task. (Or just hide/delete this sheet and forget about them also works)