Community Atlas Wolfsbane Moor WIP

Didn't think there were any moors in the atlas so as I put one in one of the regional maps I just did I thought I'd do a closer look. I don't know... needs something. Not settled on the frame, either. Might be too much with the heather fields...?

Comments

• Not too much heather - in Scotland, it is everywhere. More then you have shwon here. What about some peat? Love this map = and very heatherish.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Looks really nice. I like the splashes of heather. It looks every inch a moor.

The roads seem very large and, thus, fuzzy, on this smaller map. Hrm. Also, Black Wolf Pond is appropriately creepy, but at ~25 miles wide, "pond" seems an odd moniker. Unless its another odd Britannic irony. Lastly, It looks like you double-dipped the title in different shadows. Perhaps consider removing the more displaced of the two?

This is another wonderful map. All the more impressive given the short time you took to make it. The HW style is well-suited and was a great choice.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • One comment - Henge of the Sea Witch - she seems a long way from home. What about a Bog witch?
  • I may shrink the pond. I don't want a proper lake but agree that its size is rather ambitious for a pond! The road in the corner is from the regional map and those running through the moor are supposed to be local minor roads. I tried the minor roads in brown shades (dirt paths) but they just disappeared into the map. Might shrink all that, too, for better scale. They do have a Blur on them. Still lots of fiddling to do as I just started this today, so its early days, as it were.

The sea is just to the right of the frame edge, and this is how it was labeled on the regional map already posted to the atlas, so sea witch it remains...
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Why not just call it a lake and be done with it.

We do have lakes in this country. They just aren't the size of freshwater inland seas like the lakes you are used to in America :P

Very nice map, and a lovely touch of originality.

In my case the jury is out with the frame. Picking the colour of the heather is nice, but The bevel may be a bit much.

You could do away with the bevel perhaps, since heather doesn't naturally come with a bevel, and edge the frame with a simple line of darker heatherish colour to make it more like a braid border?
  • I just don't want to plop a full-blown lake into the moor. I'd rather have smaller ponds or fen areas. Seems somehow wilder that way..? And not all American lakes are freshwater inland seas here (although I do live on one of the largest US lakes). ;P

Yes, that's it, exactly. I wasn't sure if using the same fill and color for the map as for the heather patches was too much.
    Still have the heather fill, but a narrow plain border of heather colour around that fatter border of heather fill ;)

(I wasn't very clear about the visualisation I had of it before)
  • Oh, that does sound nice. I'll try that. In the meantime, here's an updated version. I decided to go in a more Celtic direction...
    Wow that's green! LOL!

The title looks a lot better, even though I'm not convinced by the drop shadow effect. I think the dark glow is enough... isn't it?
  • Yes, probably the drop shadow is unnecessary... Which frame is better, the purple/heather of this green. I'm thinking its too green (did it to match the title)...

Fonts and frame aside, how does the actual map look? Does it work? Too much? Not enough? The new little ponds/swollen creeks along the fen vs the original single lager pond/lake..?
  • ..actually, looking at it here I hate this green frame! lol!!!
  • oh, it's a lovely map...but that green frame is NOT doing the map any justice....go back to the purple, it compliments the heather
    Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen! :P

Ok I'll stop going on about it now! LOL!

The rivers are a little straight in places, but otherwise the map is lovely :)

I'm wondering if you simply fill the frame with heather fill, and give the poly a plain heather-like outline and take off that bevel it might look a bit different to the usual bevel-edged frames?

This is where the big secret I keep holding back comes out....

I don't like bevelled frames - unless they are trying to look like traditional wooden picture frames (stained, varnished, broken, scratched, carved or otherwise as long as its wood).

There! I've said it now.

But at least you can understand my fixation on frames - I'm trying to free everyone of this strange compunction to have the obligatory bevelled frame :P

A frame around a map doesn't always have to be a bevelled thing at all. It can be anything you like - a simple line, a scaled bar... a flat border of heather, or even (yes) a wooden frame of some kind that is (yes) bevelled to look like its a real wooden frame. I did that on my Merelan City map. The frame was wood, stained black and bevelled with a smooth curve all across its surface - like a flattened half cylinder in section. It was a devil of a job to get it to look half good, but I got there.
  • Oh, Sue, your hatred of beveled frames is no secret to me! LOL! I agree that not every map benefits from a beveled frame. Guess its just a knee-jerk reaction to put one on... And I agree about that green, Sue and Lorelei! Ye gods! It didn't look SO green on my monitor, but seeing it here... yuk. It looks like cheap plastic. No, it's definitely back to the heather pattern for the frame. (I'm wondering if anyone can guess what the heather fill actually is?)

I was wondering about a couple of the streams being too straight, myself. Rivers and roads still bewitch me. That's an easy fix.
    Rivers wiggle themselves down between every boulder in the landscape. I have trouble drawing them too ;)

Roads then have to try and navigate the terrain the rivers have carved with embankments, cuttings, bridges and so on, but generally where they aren't following the terrain they are straight with tiny kinks where regularly used junctions have distorted them a little. I find them easier to draw, but not much.
  • I like the drop shadow, but would have it displaced much less than at present. I am a frame moron, but I agree that the green is a little much, unless you want green leprechauns on it! :D
  • Okay, a few issues addressed and that hideous green frame is gone!
  • I like some bevel, the frame just seems to "flat." And if the scale is correct, the place entities just seem proportionally too big. Are the fonts all the same, excluding title? Perhaps it's the curved text where the spacing of the letters is farther apart than the straight text. But these are all nit-picky. The map is so much better than what I have been able to produce.
    I love the new frame! :)

But maybe you need to do 2 versions for people who don't.

The title looks a lot better without that shadow.

All in all another masterpiece :D
    btw - you never did say what the heather fill was...
  • @GThiel: yes the symbols are real world too big, but generally in most maps, they are as they are meant to indicate a place and not illustrate a realistic image. The single huts, for example, are markers for small towns... Also, the "mountains" are not meant to be typical soaring peaks, but more rocky hills. On the larger regional map, these are very small in comparison to the actual mountain ranges. Yes, all fonts are the same size except for the title.

Sue: Thanks, I figured you'd like this version better. But I'm not doing two different versions just for a frame! lol! ;P Those who like it like it and those who don't don't... This one works better. Actually, if it weren't going into the Community Atlas I might have made a new fabric-patterned frame for it like the red and gold dragon one I did for that map I did for the Guild a few months ago.

I was hoping someone would try to guess the heather fill... its the HW jungle texture, color adjusted.
    Ooooh! LOL! I completely didn't recognise it! :P

You can do some interesting things with the grassland texture as well. I've got grass that goes deeper green near the rivers, and gradually dies off to orange/yellow as you go up the mountains and towards the tundra on one of my regional maps ;)
  • Yes, I love the Adjust Hue effect!
  • Scott, you've made some great maps lately and this is certainly one of them.

I love everything about it but I especially like that it captures the theme to perfection. I will be using this map somewhere in my high level campaign for sure!
  • [blush] Thanks so much! That is truly a compliment from such a talented cartographer and someone whose work I admire and respect!!!
  • Ahhh geeez. Now it's my turn to blush.

Let's just say that we have quite a few amazing artists and mappers here, all of whom we respect and admire. :D
  • That's absolutely true. AND, everyone is so friendly, kind and helpful here, too.
  • Don't be embaressed, all 3 of you turn out wonderful maps.