exporting with 3.80

Hi,

I have recently updated CC3 to 3.80 and it seems that since I have done the update, I can no longer export maps to jpeg or bitmap and have the lighting effects still be there. the exported map is at 100% brightness and has no signs of light sources. I keep copies of all my previous maps and the exports I made, and doing an export of a previous map with lighting effects that worked in the last version no longer work with 3.80. Is there a change to this version that requires me to update how my lighting effects are done? any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2018
    Try increasing your max pixels per pass as explained in this discussion. Light rendering on large exports is a bit tricky because CC3+ needs to export the map in pieces, increasing this value increases the size of those pieces.
  • hi,

sorry, i should have mentioned that in my original post. my images are exporting in a single pass. i ran into that issue before where there would be a cut line half way through the image. also as previously mentioned, i exported a map with lighting effects that was created on the last version and successfully exported with the effects and now, without any modifications to the file, exports without the effects on 3.80

thank you very much, Monsen, for your prompt reply to my issue.
    What resolution are you exporting the map in? I tried firing up some of my old maps, and they exported just fine with lighting effects working properly, until I hit about 10000x10000 (which is to large to do in a single pass under any circumstances)
    Can you try exporting in 6235x5000 for me? (I am more interested in the result, rather than offering this as an acceptable workaround).
  • Hi,

I exported it in the resolution you recommended. The result is exactly the same.
    I see. Did you use any anti-aliasing btw? For me, that number worked fine (But if you apply anti-aliasing, that will result in an increased render size)

After experimenting a bit myself, it seems that it fails if the resolution of a single pass gets to large. For me, the map I used to test (map number 19 from the tome dungeon tutorials) worked fine in the resolution I asked you to test, then failed if it got a bit bigger than that,
    and worked fine again if I pushed the resolution even a bit higher, ending up with 2 passes instead of 1. 2 passes on a lighting map have their own potential issues, but for that particular map, I couldn't see any artifacts related to that.
    I have notified the developer, so if he can track down the issue, there might be a fix in the future, but for now I've found that changing the export resolution a bit to prevent a single pass being too large helps, or even lower maxpixelsperpass forcing it to render in two passes instead of one. (The negative effects of using two passes instead of one largely depends on the radius of your lights. If most of them are small (compared to overall map size) it is usually not a big problem)
  • Hi Monsen,

I cut the resolution down to a quarter of what i was using (from 8000x6000 to 4000x3000) and it now respects the lighting effects. This however introduced a new problem. the lights are casting what seem to be random shadows across the map from the light source that are not present in DD3. i'll adjust where the light source is in respect to the sconces on the walls and see if that corrects it.

its odd that all my maps worked well at 8000x6000 before and now they aren't. but i can live with a hit on quality to actually get the effects i want.

thank you so much for taking time to help me figure out this issue.
    I spoke with the developer, and there are a bunch of factors that influence this, and CC3+, being a 32-bit program have limited memory to work with. He found some things to fix, so things should be better the next time the program gets an update.