Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2018

I did a quick little village from one of the area maps I just did. I need practice with city maps, so this was the perfect excuse to do a little village.
      Mooserun.JPG
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Hm... the labels won't stay in a neat orderly column! What is the best way to do that? I swear they all looked nice and even when I saved the map to print...
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2018 edited

I've been having the same problem. Usually what I will do now is do a multi line and put in five labels at a time. Then when done with each one, I try to print. If it doesn't work out, then I will usually move them around a bit with the move tool. Most of the time I can keep them straight now, but for a while it was giving me fits. I'm not sure if we need to explode the text to keep it from doing that or what.

Nice looking map though. I really like the color palette you used.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Thanks. Its the Jon Roberts city style with one or two Roberts overland fills (the farm fields, I think). I'm pleased with the way it came out, beyond the text gremlin! My only concern was if there was too much industry for a little village, but it's all things most towns would have, I suppose.
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2018

I don't think it's too much. Villages vary in size from just a few souls to up to 1000 or so before you start hitting "small town" status...well, that's how they are described in a few role playing guides anyway.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2018

Scott, the text alignment issue is a perpetual problem because of how Windows interacts with CAD programs like CC3+ at different zoom levels. See the CC3+ Help file under "Text", "problems" using the "Index" option. The only full solution as noted on that Help page, is to Explode the text, just as Tonnichiwa said. Irritating, but useful to know at least, if not that helpful for the Community Atlas, where folks might want the option to change the text, rather than having to remove the exploded once-was text and replace it themselves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2018 edited

Even with the "lurching" problem due to text handling, you should still be able to arrange things in an orderly column without exploding it as long as you use the appropriate text alignment. Just don't try to align it on a character inside the text text string. (If you need that, such as aligning on the dot, split the text string with one part left justified and the other right, and use snaps to place things precisely.)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2018

Great little village, Scott :)

I really get the feeling that I'm flying over it.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Thanks so much, Sue!
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Went a different direction with the text labels. Think it looks better now.
      Mooserun2.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I think I prefer the way it was before.

I think what I generally do is set up the grid so that its spacing is about the same as the distance between consecutive lines of text in the font and size I want to use, the set the alignment of the text up to be bottom left, then just let them snap to the grid all lined up nice and pretty. That way if they do change length at different zooms they are all still anchored in the same column at the left hand end. A bit like lots of little flags on a very tight straight and vertical flagpole blowing out to the right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Love the way you did the title, but like Sue, i am not so sold on the key
    • CommentAuthorGThiel

Furrier has two RRs, and Fish-house either is two words or hyphenated. Great map :-) (In another life I think I was a proof-reader)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2018

LOL!

Are you for hire by any chance, GThiel?
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Okie dokie, moved the text back and did it differently and it seems to be good.
      Mooserun3.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Muuuuuuch better :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Love it, Scott. Where will this village reside?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Quite nice. But how about a background behind the legend, using something like a white or black background with a high degree of transparency to just subtly fade out the area below it. Helps separate the text a bit from the content of the map.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

The village of Mooserun is in one of the Alarius regional maps I just turned in, Quenten.

Great idea, Monsen. Thought it needed something. I was originally going to draw a wooden placard behind it to look like a hanging sign but then decided it would be too big. Let me play with it and see what I can come up with...
    • CommentAuthorkevbeck43
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2018

How did you make building 3 and building 22. Did you use the #11 tool in the building tool in City Designer? If so how does that work. I can't get mine to function for some reason.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

I used the House button to make all of the larger buildings and the Random Street button for the smaller, crowded areas.
    • CommentAuthorkevbeck43

Posted By: kevbeck43How did you make building 3 and building 22. Did you use the #11 tool in the building tool in City Designer? If so how does that work. I can't get mine to function for some reason.
    I answered my own question using the TOMB for CC3+. The TOMB is the guide to the magic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Love that name for the Tome - the TOMB. Monsen will be delighted. :D