Overland Map Cities

I am experimenting with some ideas to present overland cities on my maps. Give me some feedback on my idea.

Thanks

Direct Link: https://i.imgur.com/UVNRMq4.png

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    They look really good, but consider the scale. Even for a regional map, the city/structure symbols are enormously out of scale and are intended to merely represent a rough location and settlement type. People looking at a map generally understand this. While these sorts of city & settlement designs often look very nice (and yours do), I would reserve them for something closer to scale.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • So you think it is just to much for a overland map. My land mass is about the size of western half of US. These elements are very small on the map overall, but you may be right there is something to simplicity. So basically they are a little overboard or to different for an overland map.

Thanks!!

Tony
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I agree with Dogtag.

The whole map is extremely pleasant to look at... give or take the difference between the ocean edge and the sharp banks on that river... but to me it doesn't seem to know if it wants to be a regional map or a multiple city map.

Try working just one of those cities up into a map along the lines of Tony's latest commission piece. I bet you could actually give him a run for his money if you set your mind to it ;)