Community Atlas - Lampoteuo City

Made some major progress on Lampoteuo City tonight. Still want to put some more detail into the palace and add a heap more trees.
Then come's labelling and that's gonna be a chore.

A Map

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2018
    Nice work.
    Some of those fields just look to weirdly regular for me tho, especially the ones in the top left corner. Also, the coloration of the fields is a bit strong imho, kind of distracts a bit from the city itself. May I suggest making them slightly more washed out?
  • Great city, Josh! Although, I do agree with Remy on the fields being a bit strong....i'm not partial to the fills in the set, but that's just my own opinion. Maybe mute them a bit? Otherwise...fantastic work....a city i can hijack for my own campaign, as i loathe cities the most! I'm always appreciative of fellow Community Atlas members contributing cities :)
  • Thanks guys!

Once you see that grid in the top left if can't be unseen :) Will certainly throw some diversity around that area.

Great feedback about the strength of the fields. Reducing the power of the colour here will certainly help bring the focus back on the city because right now you are completely correct, it just kind of clashes to the eye.

And yes Lorelei, cities suck so hard haha. This has been a year in the making, on and off of course, mainly off. So much work goes into a city.
  • Maybe tweak the shadows a little too? A lot of the buildings and trees seem to be "floating" to me, but that could be just the impression that it must be a low Sun, yet the fields and roads are too bright and unshaded.
  • 19 days later
  • Nearly finished with this one now.
    Scale is off. Need to reduce is to about 0 to 0.5 i reckon.

A Map
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Nice work, Daplunk, but I agree with Wyvern about the shadows.

I think they are too long and too fuzzy. Unless this is a sunset scene then the shadows wouldn't be as wide as the houses casting them ;)

A small adjustment to the sheet effect would greatly improve them.
  • Other than the too long shadows already mentioned by Sue and Wyvern, I have to say, this is a real beauty of a city. Love it!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited February 2018
    Agreed! I especially like the city walls, the plateau, and the docks. The blue water labels are a nice touch, too.

One thing I notice, though, is that I don't personally see any obvious major market squares, but I suppose there could be smaller markets all over.

Are those ruined/breached walls by the north bridge? Nice touch, that, particularly the smaller, thin wall along the river.

Out of curiosity, what's the fortified area just inside the north gate?

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Time to learn how to control the shadows! :)

I did mean to put some market stalls in around the town centre so will add that in.

There's a barbarian problem in the region, thus the damaged buildings and walls.

The fortifications are garrisons. There's three in total, inside the main gates and within the palace walls.
  • Change the range of your Wall Shadow directions - can do this for all the different symbol and wall sheets.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You just pick the effect on the sheet in question and click the edit button ;)