Multipoly vs. Combine

Is anyone willing to say a few words on the differences, benefits, and drawbacks of using Multipoly (mpoly2) versus the Combine (cmb) commands?

From what I can tell, mpoly2 joins different types of elements into a single poly, while cmb only joins Paths into a single poly. I had been using Path to Poly with CMB to get polys for filling, but I'm thinking MPOLY2 might be a better tool?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Multipoly and combine are really quite different things, LE. You use Multipoly if you want to create a polygon with holes in it - literally. For example if you want to draw a damaged roof top with holes blown in it by bombs or whatever.

Combine is really a path tool that lets you join paths together, and is most useful if you are using the hand drawing tool to draw things on your map, and decide that two lines in particular really need to be just the one line.

Path to poly is also a separate thing in its own right - used mainly to create a polygon from a hand drawn line - most usually one drawn using the freehand drawing tool. I use it 99% of the time instead of the other more fancy drawing tools, just because that's how I work. I draw stuff freehand, then make polys out of my lines.

It really does depend on what you want to achieve, and in most cases there are a number of different ways to achieve the same visual effect. For example, with the multipoly tool you could just as easily draw the roof intact, add a Colour Key Sheet effect and effectively subtract the holes from the rooftop by drawing them as polygons in the Colour Key colour.
  • Hmm, thanks. :)

So what I have been using these tools for is something simple; like where I want a shape that has two straight lines connected by a fractalized or spline type entity. (Such as the Curtain of Blackness in the other thread). So I draw for or more entities of different types (lines, paths, etc) and then want to join then so I can use a fill on them.

I've used both, and they both seem to work, but didn't know what best practice is.
    There are no real 'best way' methods, but only several different ways of achieving a certain outcome.

I tend to use Colour Key effects rather than multipolys because multipolys are dead awkward to edit (you have to explode them, edit the parts, then re-multipoly them). Some people who like to move things around a lot more than I do may prefer them, however, because its not so easy to move a roof with holes in it if each of those holes is a separate poly to the roof top - as it would be if you used a Colour Key effect.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited February 2018
    I've used multi-poly to make odd shaped rooms, but as Sue points out... to edit them you have to do other things. I just delete and redraw. Better for my patience.

Here are some exmaples.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Generally, I prefer to use CMB when I am assembling shapes from line/path-type entities, because this ends up with a single entity that is easier to manage/edit.
    For some cases (especially when you want a shape with holes in it), CMB doesn't cut it, and then I resort to multipolies.

What is best for each situation comes with experience though. Just use the one you feel gives you the result you need.
  • Thanks all :)

I've been using CMB because that what the TUM taught me. But then I was mousing over the various tools and remembered MPoly from v6 and started to wonder...
    If you did everything in the Tome, it would have shown you Multipoly too :) (Granted, the multipoly part is not really a tutorial, it is more 'just use it' and see what happens)

You can also check out the relevant command of the week articles, there is one for each.
  • Posted By: MonsenIf you did everything in the Tome,....
    Are you crazy! Do you know how MUCH stuff is in there!!!

Thanks for the link, my forum search didn't give me those so I assu-me-d their wasn't one on those commands.
    Posted By: LordEntrailsAre you crazy! Do you know how MUCH stuff is in there!!!
    Yes. For some odd, completely unexplainable weird reason, I know exactly how much stuff is in there.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: LordEntrailsAre you crazy! Do you know how MUCH stuff is in there!!!
    Yes. For some odd, completely unexplainable weird reason, I know exactly how much stuff is in there.
    LOL!
    I guess you saw the name of the author, LE :P
  • 've known who wrote it since before I bought it. One reason I'm so appreciative of all the help Monsen provides on the forums.
    I think he's one of the most useful dragons I've ever met :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited February 2018
    Monsen said:Yes. For some odd, completely unexplainable weird reason, I know exactly how much stuff is in there.
    Really? You should write a book about it.  <:-P
  • 27 days later
  • So, I reviewed that linked page and couldn't figure out what I was needed to do. What I need is the ability to merge/combine these rooms/passages into one object. I want to do that so I can trace/edit/etc more easily. Here is what I'm talking about.

https://i.imgur.com/GbtJ7bV.png

The rooms I created first, then I used the passage tool to create connections. Unfortunately now I can't figure out how to "merge" them all into one object.

Can someone point me to a youtube vid or something that explains how to do this?
  • The command line is your friend when making passageways to connect rooms in a dungeon. C connects and leaves the wall there, B connects and makes an opening.
  • Posted By: JimPThe command line is your friend when making passageways to connect rooms in a dungeon. C connects and leaves the wall there, B connects and makes an opening.
    You know, I used to know that ;( Is there no way to fix it after the fact? This particular dungeon I can just re-draw but I've got another that has some really complex rooms/passage ways I'd like to just make all one piece.
  • Well, I have made an opening when I wanted a wall to hide a secret door.

What I did was make the line width the same as the wall depth. Then changed it from a color fill to the bitmap fill of the same thing.

Hiding everything but the walls, using trim helps to. I make odd-shaped rooms, some stranger than the map I posted before, by using the Add room shape in the lower right of the room tool. Polygon room I think it is. But sometimes I mess it up, then I do trims, break, etc. to fix it to what I wanted, then show all to see if I fixed it. Sometimes it takes me a few tries to get it corect.
    edited March 2018
    Posted By: CelestianIs there no way to fix it after the fact? This particular dungeon I can just re-draw but I've got another that has some really complex rooms/passage ways I'd like to just make all one piece
    Basically, just use split and break, removing overlapping and inside lines until you are left with just the lines forming the outline of the total shape, and then use combine paths to combine everything back into one path, followed by path to poly to close up the path and making it a polygon again.

Sorry for the simple explanation, but I am sitting in a hotel room in Rome right now.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: CelestianIs there no way to fix it after the fact? This particular dungeon I can just re-draw but I've got another that has some really complex rooms/passage ways I'd like to just make all one piece
    Basically, just use split and break, removing overlapping and inside lines until you are left with just the lines forming the outline of the total shape, and then use combine paths to combine everything back into one path, followed by path to poly to close up the path and making it a polygon again.

Sorry for the simple explanation, but I am sitting in a hotel room in Rome right now.
    Hah! Nice, Rome ;) Thanks for taking the time tho.

Wasn't there a way before where you could merge multiple polys into one? Or am I just mixing up my tools?
    Not that I can remember except for Multipoly and combine paths (along with splitting, trimming and closing), both methods with their own advantages and disadvantages.
    I guess you have the option of just using a drawing tool and using the trace feature of these tools to trace the combined outline of the polygons too, and join them that way.