Large Map PNG Export

I have a large map and when I export to png it loses some detail when looking at it in full size. Can CC3+ stitch multiple files together for instance cutting the map into 4 sections? There has to be a way to export a map with good detail I think I might be missing something!

Help!!

Thanks!!

Comments

• When you export to PNG, you specify the resolution of the image. From the Save As box their is a button "Options" change the pixel size there until you get a satisfactory image quality.

Remember, CC is vector based, so within the program itself you can always zoom in without loosing detail (except for any raster symbols and fills you use), but a PNG is raster or bitmap based (i.e. it's a bunch of pixels) so there will always be "pixelation" when you zoom in enough.
  • Yes I export as a png and it just seems very pixilated when I look at it in full size. Is there a way to break it down to multiple squares that I can stitch together?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You can save part of the map by using the 'rectangular png' option in the save as dialogs. This allows you to export the map in separate pieces you can stitch together in an image editor.
    If you own the 2017 annual, there is also an issue there about large exports that automatically exports the entire map in tiles and also stitches the pieces back together.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    How large is your generated output file in terms of pixels wide and pixels high?
  • Well the map is fairly detailed. The real problem is when I export it the map loses detail. Seems like with the nature of some of the maps being built Profantasy would include a tool to break the map up to be later assembled in Photoshop or an equivalent program. When I export to anything larger than about 6000x6000 I lose detail. I up raster and it takes about an hour, and I still lose detail when expanding to 100%.

Thanks!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2018
    What do you mean by loose detail in this context? Normally, the larger you make your export, the more detail the image will contain. I am a bit confused as to what you are seeing here? Getting less details as you enlarge the export doesn't really make any sense to me.

6000x6000 is somewhat large, but it isn't a very large export, so the image will of course contain far less detail than the CC3+ map itself. Being able to zoom as close in an image as you can in the CC3+ map isn't really feasible, without getting a multi-GB sized image (my 81920 x 65540 pixel Snowport image offers quite nice zoom facilities, but ended up being a 3GB file. [This was exported as multiple tiles using the rectangular png save as option, CC3+ cannot export files this large directly])
  • Last year's annual had a set of scripts to do this, to whatever number of tiles you need.