Machine is dying, but its not really goodbye :)

I may be away for a pretty long time.

I don't know how many times I will have to try and post this comment. A combination of Win 10 updates and Intel processor updates have slowed my machine down so much that most modern servers are timing me out before my comments get through.

Its not my broadband because that's working at full pelt, so it has to be this new security way of hiding the kernel, or whatever they're doing (I don't understand, but its to mend a gaping hole in the security) A combination of a 50% slow down caused by Windows 10 Creators Update, and a further 30% slow down caused by Intel updates have wrecked everything for me. I need a new machine :(

I can open and read threads ok, I just can't post anything.

Just thought I should let you know, so you don't think I died or something!

If anyone asks what happened to Mouse at the Guild, please can someone say something? I don't want them to think that I died either, but their server is even more impatient than this one.

Comments

• Oh Sue, I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you are able to get a new computer soon, trust me, I know what you're going through. I'll go tell people on the guild.
  • This security flaw is huge and the fix only fixes part of it at a 75% impact to your machines speed.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    How did things go with your Linux install? I thought you had that pretty well up and running by now, or did the intel patch mess too much with that too?

Can't say I have noticed any real difference on any of my own machines fortunately (and I do have quite a few), but that is in line with what other benchmarks shows as well. That 30% value is a worst-case scenario for very specific loads (mostly a problem for big data centers), while most ordinary users shouldn't see more than 5% or so at the most for most kinds of tasks. Seems like you are really unfortunate with your computer though, as I don't have any problems with the Fall Creator Update either, that to runs very nicely for me. Maybe it does have some hardware issues you are not aware of?

Anyway, hope you get this sorted soon, we like to see this energetic mouse running around here doing all kinds of neat stuff :)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thank you s much everyone!

Taken me 2 hours to reply :(

Odd - its the other way around today. I can get the Guild easier than PF. Here I've been staring at a white screen for the last 30 minutes, and couldn't even get that for the first hour and a half.

Remy - The Linux install is badly affected. I can't update on either partition. Everything is too slow, and I keep getting timed out.

Like I said - its not the Broadband, but the way it just cuts out all the time, and the snails pace the processors aren't working at.

Major problem with Linux is that I can't get the Firefox update, so I can't even get online from Linux.

I'm in Windows right now.

Hope this post works!
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    :(

Damn these newfangled computers and their interwebs voodoo!
    edited February 2018
    I'm back :D

Ironically, it was the latest Win 10 patch for the Intel fiasco that cured the problem *rolls eyes and shakes head in disbelief*
    That's great.
    Then I only need to convince you to participate in the contest ;-)
    LOL! I might do something, but no promises!

I've gone and made a rather outrageous promise to a friend of mine that I will do up an FT world map for them, and since I try my best not to break my promises...
    Just give them the atlas one, then they have lots of available maps at the ready too :)
    edited February 2018
    Unfortunately, its one of the ones I was showing them when I was showing off what FT3 could do.

A variation of this one, as it happens.

[Image_10301]

They only want a wall poster of some kind, but I need to do a lot more work than they understand.

Its my own stupid fault. I shouldn't make these promises! LOL!
    004.jpg 72.9K
    edited February 2018
    This is the plan...

[Image_10302]

Only the mountains are in the wrong place, so I have to do quite a bit of Krita and Wilbur work to sort that out before I even get started on the colouring.

By the way, if anyone is thinking of doing this themselves, its best to work on the height map (the black and white map where the mountains are light and the ocean is black) in Krita, since Krita can work on and export .bmp bitmaps that are 16 bit instead of just 8 bit like GIMP. It makes the heightmap smoother, so that you don't get quite so many terrace issues when you import it into Wilbur to do the erosion.