Which software to get?

Hey everyone, long time "wanter" of my own map making tools and finally ready to take the plunge now that my 12 year old son is starting his first DMing at his school's D&D Club.

I am a huge fan of the ProFantasy examples I've seen... but wondering which specific downloads I should be getting.

Here is what I am hoping to create:
1) a capital city before its fall
2) a ruined version of the capital city after it was destroyed in a magical cataclysmic event of sorts.
3) a base of operations... maybe something like an estate from a previous noble in the city
4) bunches and bunches of "buildings" for various encounters... searching the old church/temple... searching the old in... searching the old hovel... attacking a rival bandit hideout... searching an old library... you get the idea.

Based on the above... I don't know that I need CC3... for sure need City Designer... but what is best for making individual building maps, etc.

Thanks in advance!!!
Stormbrow (Robbinsdale, Minnesota, USA)

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2018
    You need CC3+ for sure, that is the main program, everything else is just add-ons.
    For everything floorplan, Dungeon Designer is what you need (or SS4 as an alternative [or both]) (unless its modern/futuristic, in which case you'll want SS3/Cosmographer instead). And as you already said, you should also get CD3.

(And when you get the program, make sure to work through the CC3+ manual first. While the manual is mostly overland stuff, it teaches you the basic stuff that you will need to know whatever type of map you make, so it is still applicable even if you don't plan on making overland maps)
  • edited January 2018
    Hey Monsen thanks... that is good to know... I'm looking forward to testing the stuff out and seems like a very active community of users eager to answer questions!

EDIT: Purchase of the TOP 3 Bundle complete... now the download and install
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited January 2018
    They're fairly large downloads, Stormbrow, so if you have trouble just try downloading them at off-peak times of the day.

When you install them, right click the installer and 'install as Administrator'

(You may need to turn off your antivirus before you install, but remember to turn it back on again when you are done)

Install CC3+ first, and then the add-ons and then the latest CC3+ update.

Each time you install something you will be prompted to allow it to open. Let it open, but then close it straight away, even if you are only going to open it again at the end of the entire process.

Have fun!

And welcome to the PF forum :)