Large map detail

I am working on a map basically the size of GB. From the "world view" how do I link maps and keep my coastlines to zoom in to do more detailed maps by area?

Thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2018
    Basic procedure is to first copy your coastline to a new map (the detail map) via the clipboard, and trim or trace them to the border of the new map. This is documented in the user manual in the chapter about editing with drawing tools.
    To create the links themselves, go to Tools->Hyperlinks->Link with map to establish the link. I recommend already having the files ready in the correct location in the folder hierarchy. If the detail map is located in the same folder as the main map, or in a subfolder, the link will automatically be a link relative to the main map, so as long as you move the structure as a whole, you can move things wherever without breaking the link.
  • So how do you establish what area is linking. does it show as a rectangle on the main map or is this something I will have to note on the main map on a layer?

Thanks!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2018
    The link itself is a rectangular area that is normally invisible (You can hide/show hyperlinks from the View menu). I prefer to use some kind of marker to show the link area|. Possible choices are a brightly colored hollow rectangle to make the area very obvious, or for a more subtler look, use a filled transparent rectangle over the area.
    No matter how you do it, I recommend putting these on their own sheet so you can show/hide them, and also add various effects to them.

There are of course other options, like for example placing a text entries next to the map with links on them or similar. (Such links can actually be any macro command, so you can even create hyperlinks n your map to hide/show sheets on demand, or do other stuff, not just open maps)