CC3+ cannot open map files

Hello,

i have recently encountered an issue with CC3+ when attempting to load older existing maps I have been working on. I launch CC3+, go to Open, select the map i wish to open (cc3+ FCW format) and receive this error message:

"Error Loading File: C:\Program Files\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\folder\map name.FCW"

the error prevents me from opening the map entirely. I can, however, create a new map presently, and open it without issue. this error seems to only be affecting my older maps (issue first occurred 26/1/18, older maps last opened 25/1/18 without issue)

Any and all assistacne regarding the resolution of this issue would be MUCH appreciated. =)

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    What version of Windows do you use? Are you saving your new files to the same location?

Post XP versions of windows (Vista, 7, 8, 10) implemented tighter security around the C:\Program Files folder. You really shouldn't save documents (or maps) to the Program Files folder or subfolders. That's one reason the default data folder for CC3Plus is under C:\Program Data . I don't know if that's the issue but it's a starting point.

If you move the file somewhere else and then open it, does it work?
  • I am currently opperating on widows 8.

Interesting.

I moved the files (namely the map files) from C:\Program Files. however, i continue to receive the same error when attempting to open the older maps. New map files continue remain unaffected.

when i installed CC3+ (many months ago now) it places its data folders on the C:\Program Files folder interestingly enough. and have remained there up until now.
  • UPDATE

on continued investigation it appears that the issue is not with the program installation, but rather with the files themselves. some how they have become damaged at sometime by an as yet unknown cause.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: atoolin24when i installed CC3+ (many months ago now) it places its data folders on the C:\Program Files folder interestingly enough. and have remained there up until now.
    No, it doesn't, unless you manually told it to by changing the location in the installation wizard (maybe you misread the dialog and thought you where specifying the program location and not the data location?). The default location for CC3+ data files is c:\ProgramData\ProFantasy. CC3 used Program Files, but not CC3+, which splits the files by placing the program itself at c:\Program Files\ProFantasy\CC3Plus, and the data files at c:\ProgramData\ProFantasy\CC3Plus.

If you post some of your problematic files here, we can have a go at trying to open them. Can't promise anything, but perhaps we may find out what's wrong with them.