First Town Map

Here is a map I have just made, first one made with CD3. It is a town along the edge of a lake within a large elven forest for a homebrew D&D world I have made. It is not really a place of importance, even though it does have it's own little story that players can get tied into if they delve deep enough.

I am curious if anyone knows any packs I can get to add to CD3 so I can make better maps? I just am not to happy with the options I have so far with the vanilla options.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ofw78t00m9hecq/Haran.JPG?dl=0

P.S. Had to put up a link as trying to share a file causes a "This topic does not exist" error.

Comments

• The this topic does not exist error is usually caused by the file you are trying to load being to large. This site only allows about 1.95 MB file sizes. Well, you could always try making your own houses. But if that isn't something you want to do then you can try looking in the CSUAC. The link to it is available here in the sticky threads under "Interesting, important, and helpful topics-free symbols, resources, tutorials & more".
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    I think its a really nice map, especially for a first CD3 map. Part of the "magic" of ProFantasy software is the various effects that are available to add life to your maps. Try using some of the different effects and maybe things wouldn't seem so "vanilla" to you. You can do a lot of altering of things with the programs. On your map, I would adjust the fills for the land and sea so they are less repetitive. That's an easy one. Try playing with shadow effects and different roof textures.
  • edited January 2018
    @Tonnichiwa

Thanks for the suggestions I will look into that and see if any of it helps :)

@ScottA

Funny enough your suggestions, are what I am having problems with. Not to harp on ProFantasy software, I just tend to be a perfectionist and never am satisfied with what I make. I was hoping to make something more akin to the city maps you would find in a D&D book. I will look into the effects though, see if I can make the land, and sea stand out less. As well as fix my roof textures to my satisfaction.

I've also been working on my first CC3 map and have been playing with effects over there. Still trying to find out what does what. Here is an example of that one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/555gphe3vf4ifc5/New%20Thordin%20Kingdom%20Edit.JPG?dl=0
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    That looks really good. Edge Fade, Inner is always a great choice for texture fills, as it allows them to blend and look more natural. Glows are great as long as they are done in moderation. Just takes some practice and a lot of exploring. CC3+ isn't an easy or quick program to learn, but its abilities are amazing and well worth the effort to learn.